Head butt hello?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amundb

Reaction score
Smores is the younger bunny, and seems to be much more timid and scared of everything than Magnet, the older bunny. When the doors are opened to let them out of the cage, Magnet's off to do his thing. Smores will come out, head butt the nearest human body part (it's more of a tap) a couple times, then be off. He also hates to be pet...the only time he will tolerate it if he's sitting next to Magnet and he's getting pet too. He'll still get up and walk away somewhere else after a few minutes though.

We spend plenty of time on the floor with the buns, and Magnet is not scared whatsoever. He will gladly smush down and receive noserubs and full body pets. He only gets mad if we stop :p Wouldn't Smores get the idea that humans are ok from Magnet? He's also timid when getting treats. Magnet lunges after them and one day is going to bite a finger in the process. Smores will take 2 minutes just to take it from your hand, and he's already in his cage (they get a treat for going into their cage on their own at bedtime).

We've never done anything to make Smores be scared of us, and we've had him since he was a baby in the pet store. If anything, he should be scared of Magnet...they occasionally get into fights, but are right back snuggling the next day, just like brothers. What's with our bunny?
:ponder:

You know what I have two buns and I've had my girl from the Petstore since she was teeny tiny. Same personality differences. My older boy I got from the shelter and he is outgoing and not scared of anyone. My girl is paranoid and runs from everything. She is sweet though, but, very nervous.

Maybe it's because the petstore buns are taken away from mommy too early. I know when puppies get taken from their's too early it can cause behavior issues....

It sounds to me like Smores is saying hi to you - really. My bun likes to nose-bump my leg or ankle to get my attention or to tell me that she wants to be petted.

it might take Smores a good while to warm up to you, but it sounds as if he likes you more than you might think.

Take a look at this site, for more info. on rabbit behavior and body language:

http://www.muridae.com/rabbits/rabbittalk.html

Back