He won't breed!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icarus

Reaction score
My 6 1/2 month old Blue Dutch buck (whom I raised since 8 weeks!) WON'T BREED! I put him in with Two Buttons, my lovely black brood doe, and absolutely no interest.

I thought she was bred to Airship Captain, also a Blue Dutch, for September kits but she never kindled (was pretty hot, so I guess she didn't take). I sold Captain, since I have two of his daughters, and kept Blue Spook because I really wanted few litters by him. Now, nothing. Both boy-bits have descended, she's willing and ready to go, and all he wants to do is chew on grass.

Seriously. He has all the food he could ever want in his cage and he's more interested in nibbling on greenery. :expressionless

I put him on her, I've left them alone, I've TRIPLE checked the doe to make extra, extra, sure she's ready to go...annnd nothing. I'm going to try and sell or trade him at the coming swap, he'd make a nice sire, but obviously that trade isn't working out for him and his personality really isn't the greatest. He's always been 'aloof'.

Ugh. Anyone interested in a Blue Dutch buck?

If you really want to breed him put him in a cage between two does who are ready to breed, i also heard if you put vinegar in his water it turns him on.

Apple Cider Vinegar, not just plain vinegar, seems to work, although I thought it only worked for does. Might give it a try.

Otherwise, just keep trying! I think the way I did it was trick my buck by letting the doe eat some food out of my hand. He saw that, got jealous, and then after he ate he was in the mood!!

Emily

Oh My Darlin Rabbitry wrote:
he may not be ready it can take up to 8 months or later. I'd say just give him some time you might also try taking all the food out of the cage while breeding.

Crystal

I have a completely separate 'breeding cage', a sort of neutral territory. All my does are together in one big chicken tractor, and all the bucks in another. Rabbit house is allllmost done...just need the time to finish it!

I have some ACV in the house, I'll add it to their water tomorrow and try again!

Well you need to take your doe to the bucks cage that will help alot and yes apple cider viniger does work but it does not take much or even squrt a 500iu vitamin E on there feed that works also........Toby

Like mentioned above, take the does to his cage. He is just young and inexperienced, in a new place where there was stuff to eat and the ladies were put off. I'd bring the does to him. They really don't seem to mind that..and if the other bucks are sniffing around he may figure it out.

FelipesMommy wrote:
Maybe he's gay.

Sorry, couldn't help it! :p
I had a buck years back that was gay, he had no intrest in the girls just the guys, in the end I had to sell him because he wouldn't breed with the girls, just the guys.

iluvdutchrabbbits90 wrote:
FelipesMommy wrote:
Maybe he's gay.

Sorry, couldn't help it! :p
LOL:laughsmiley:

Don't laugh-I've considered it! :D

Alright guys, I'm about to head out again. I've got Apple Cider Vinegar, mood lighting, scented candles, silk sheets, rose petals, and a CD with Elton John's 'Can You Feel The Love Tonight'. Wish me luck! :biggrin:

Good Luck!! If not I'll always swap bucks with you- I"m moving somewhat out of dutch! my old boy may have not re-dropped one testicle, but he still LOVES his women/Does.

And when it comes to the Elton John cd, it worked in Lion King why not with bunnies? Mine like country music :D

Latest posts

Back