He walks?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I first got Buttercup (RIP) 14 years ago, I notuiced like you he walked more then hopped.(which I was shocked when I first saw it.I did not realize bunnies could walk)It was because he was on wood floors, did not have any traction so he could have hurt himself by slipping on the floor. (Just shows how smart he was).

Once I got runners and an area rug, you couldn't stop the little guy from hopping and running around.

Susan:)

it may depend on the surface you have him on... holland lops seem a bit more sensitive to that, at least compared to my lionhead. for example, my lop can't stand the slippery tile in part of my house; the lionhead couldn't care less.

when I first got them (at 8 wks for the lop/7 for the lionhead), I noticed the lop didn't ever seem to hop much whereas the lionhead hopped tons. at the time, they were always confined to either their cage (which had an inch or so of bedding on the floor) or their outdoor pen (an inch or two of grass to move through).

once I got an all-purpose tarp to put beneath their cage, put a big pen around the cage and started leaving the side door open so they'd have more room to play, she was suddenly hopping fairly often across the tarp - unlike other surfaces, it wasn't slick and didn't have grass/bedding sticking up higher than the actual ground/floor.

holland lop babies seem awfully low to the ground when standing, so it makes sense she'd have more trouble moving around in grass/bedding because it came up to her tummy.

My 4 month old Holland Lop walks a lot too. He hops when he knows the area but will walk in all new areas or when something new is around. He usually walks for awhile when we bring him out but then gets to hopping and jumping around. We do have laminate floors in our house...I do get out the yoga mat for him and he loves that, so I also agree it could be flooring.

Latest posts

Back