Hays...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid

Reaction score
So I called the NAN location listed for Bunnybale in MD today. They had no idea what I was talking about.
I was bummed. I wanted to try that out & pick up a feeder box. I emailed to ask if there is another location open in MD but I'm not holding out on it.

Sweet Meadow. Ugh. Evil FedEx.
Couldn't find me yesterday and marked me wrong address and today dropped my hay off god knows where.
I JUST got the box after calling and being like wth!
I'm super excited to try it and see how Sloane likes it.
I'm dashing now to go do it all.

Anyone have any hay places they love?

After the outrageous price of the pet store little bags of hay, I tried Imbrium's suggestion & contacted Sierra Valley Hay last fall & placed an order for Timothy & Orchard grass hays! It was long, lush green, sweet smelling hay, both bunnies & I loved it! They come running for their Sierra Valley hay! I had difficulty finding good horse quality hay nearby & transportation was a problem too. Sierra Valley hay is great quality & comes to my door! Couldn't be happier & my bunnies eat like little bunny piggies when they get their hay! Oh, & don't get me started with the difference between the pet store tiny bags of hay with their short, little scrawny blades of hay compared to the lush sweet smelling long gorgeous blades of the Sierra Valley hay! Wonder if Sierra Valley will pay me/commission or give me a price break as a fervent Sierra Valley advertiser? lol Just mention Tauntz sent you & ask them to give me a 10% commission on my sales! lol Just kidding! Actually I did have a wonderful advertising arrangement years ago with a wonderful bird product! Worked well for both of us!

@Tauntz oh I'll have to try them :) Sloane was all in that Timothy! I had to nudge her out of hiding to check it out but once she figured out why I did she was all like whoa!
Even had a binky.
I don't think I've ever seen such green hay. Like really.
The Alfalfa is like moist lol...
She has hay coming out of her ears I stuck it everywhere.

I haven't tried either Bunnybale or Sweet Meadow Farms hay yet. It is nice to know they are on the east coast as I am as well. Sierra Valley Hay is in California but their shipping with our first order was very fast & the boxes were in excellent shape with the hay being very fresh. I just ordered my second two boxes. This time I ordered 2 Orchard grass to see if it helped with my allergy symptoms. Last time I ordered one Timothy & one Orchard grass. It all was lovely & great quality & smelled wonderful except for my allergy! lol Maybe it was so fresh it alerted my body's allergy to kick in! lol

All I can say is Sloane will now be a very spoiled bunny & she will not be happy with pet store bags of hay! Just ask my Faith & Hope! lol I didn't realize my hay supply had gotten so low so picked up a bag at my nearby pet store to supplement them until the new Sierra Valley hay arrives! They looked at me like "What is this? Where is OUR hay? You call this hay?" I tried to explain to them I was just adding it in with what we have of the Sierra Valley until our order gets here. Most of the hay lying around their xpen is the pet store bag hay! This crazy weather with its cold temps & water freezes are messing me up with getting things done for all of us!

I always get my hay from the local farms. Much more cost efficent than the pet store stuff as a bale of hay is about half the price of a little bag of Oxbow. The rabbits love it just as much and it's nice because we can use it for bedding, satisfies three rabbits and three guinea pigs every day, and still have it last a month :D

All I can say is Sloane will now be a very spoiled bunny & she will not be happy with pet store bags of hay! Just ask my Faith & Hope! lol I didn't realize my hay supply had gotten so low so picked up a bag at my nearby pet store to supplement them until the new Sierra Valley hay arrives! They looked at me like "What is this? Where is OUR hay? You call this hay?" I tried to explain to them I was just adding it in with what we have of the Sierra Valley until our order gets here. Most of the hay lying around their xpen is the pet store bag hay! This crazy weather with its cold temps & water freezes are messing me up with getting things done for all of us!

Oddly since we came home from the vet, she's been snacking on the oxbow Timothy the most. I have a pad out with the oxbow tim, Oat & sweet Meadow tim & alfalfa. Go figure. Who am I to understand the mind of a bun. At least she's munching.

@Tauntz - do you happen to know which 3 hays they pick for the variety box?
I was looking over that website.....
Variety Box 15lbs - 3 types of hay (5lbs each)
We don't need any more alfalfa lol...

I found this today -http://store.binkybunny.com/mini-hay-bale---oat-mature-p8c4.aspx?Thread=True

Has anyone bought from them?
Any thoughts?

Sierra Valley Hay's Variety Boxes you choose the hay that you want:
16 pound Variety Box you get 8 pounds each of 2 types of hay
15 pound Variety Box you get 5 pounds of each of 3 types of hay

You will need to write the hay types you want in the "merchant instructions". You can also e-mail or better yet, I call them to enquire about the order I am placing. They have a toll-free telephone number in their contact info. Very nice couple to talk to about their hays & ordering.

Latest posts

Back