Hayracks...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good ideas everyone!! Thanks a lot...I thinkI'll look at Petco and see the prices and then maybe make one out ofNIC because I'm thinking about making Daisy a pen. Thanks again!Heather:D

MBB, sadly it wouldn't work for this bunch. Ihave hay hogs and I mean hogs. They spread it as far as the eye cansee. Thank you for the info, definitely a neat idea.

I got an idea while reading this post, but haveno idea how well it would work. Get a brown paper lunch bagand fill it with hay. Tie it closed with a string.Cut a small hole in the bottom of the bag so some hay pokesout. This might help the buns get the idea of how to pull thehay out. Tie the string to the top of the cage.They would also probably have fun chewing this up.

I have this Hayrack that I bought from Pets at Home for like £5 or £6.

230306%20033.jpg

It's not huge, but I struggle to get Pebble and Ebony to eat hay, takesthem 2 days to empty it.:?I stuff toilet roll tubes and paperbags with hay too to try and get them to eat it.

Maddie empties hers in 1 day, and she's less than half their size :shock::rofl:

Im sure ikea has what your looking for. Theyhave everything.. in my opinion i would just go out and probably buyone. seems like it would cause some trouble making your own. Pet smarthas em. I dont know about petco and PJS pet shop might have em too.

One thing I do with my hay is I fill an oldhamster ball I had from my dwarf hamsters with hay, leave the littletop off of it so there's a hole and give it to the buns. Theylike to roll it around and eat the hay out of the hole. And,I can use it again since they aren't into completely destroyingit. :)

~BunBuns~ wrote:
seems like it would cause some trouble making your own. Petsmart has em. I dont know about petco and PJS pet shop might have emtoo.
The problem is that for those of use with bigger rabbits and big hayeaters, the store bought hay racks wont work. My boys are too big touse store bought hay racks, they can't get between the bars to the hayand a hay rack that size would need to be filled probably 10 times aday to keep mine content (not kidding either). Well you can sometimesfind things to improvise from other stores, it's not always ideal. Mineis from Ikea but I've been looking for 3 years for something that isdeeper and has more spaced out bars so they can get their heads in itand have been unsucessful which is why I am relenting to making my own.But that's how I am, we have hardly bought anything for my rabbits,between me and my dad we make everything for them.

I'll try and explain mine. Miss Vega's hayrackis a wire under shelf rack you can get from Walmart for $6. You cut outthe bottom row on the front so it's easy for the bunny to get hay out.We got the idea from the Missouri HRS, where we adopted Vega. They justused cardboard zip tied to the back, but we wanted it to look nice andmatch her cage. We cut a thin piece of wood the correct size, and usedthe left over stick on tiles from her cage. We then drilled a few holesin it, and zip tied it to the rack. It looks nice and is plenty bigenough to Vega (who is a huge hay eater). I hope this pic explains itbetter than I can.

100_1975.jpg

Latest posts

Back