Hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcohen1982

Reaction score
Ok, I am finding it SO expensive to buy these 96 oz bags of timothy hay from petsmart once a week. I was looking on craigslist in my area and have seen hay for sale. However, it is Timothy, Brome, and Clover. Some also have orchard grass.Is this ok to give them? What do I need to look for if I buy it from them?

Thanks

Rachel

I buy Oxbow brand hay for my bunnies from a local pet store (only one in the area that sells this brand). The oxbow site has info on their different hays, nutritional info and whatnot. I have found that Orchard Grass is nutritionally about the same as Timothy. http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/products/animal/detail?object=1617 <---link to Orchard grass hay. More varieties will be listed on the left.

Other members will probably have more ideas on what to look for. :)

Avoid clover and alfalfa unless you have very young bunnies. Anything else should be safe. If it's a grain hay like oat make sure it's cut early before the grain heads form or it will be more straw like with less nutrition and unappealing to the rabbits. Brome, orchardgrass, timothy, and bermuda are all grass hays that are frequently used for rabbits and guinea pigs.

Latest posts

Back