Hay types!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrjs0123

Reaction score
I recently adopted an inseparable 1.5 year bun and 7 week old bunny together. I can't keep them apart or even in cages successfully, since they both hate cages so much and tear it completely apart to get to each other to the point where I can't leave them unsupervised. Therefore, they both freeroam happily.

However, they have different nutritional needs due to the age differences! My baby eats alfalfa hay and pellets, while the other eats timothy hay. The issue is that they are OBSESSED with each others' hay and it's next to impossible to keep them out of the other's litter box!

Is it okay that my two month old is nibbling on a little bit of timothy hay, with the majority of her diet being alfalfa, while my adult bun is the same but reversed??

It won't do any harm that the younger one is heading to the other's box to get the timothy hay. It's actually great that she's trying out timothy as it will help when you swap her to timothy. Alfalfa can be used as a treat hay, so it shouldn't do any harm to your older one either.
But you need to find something that will separate the two and not allow them to access one another. It might be fine now, since your lady is just a baby, and babies generally get along with everyone and everything, but in a month or so, depending on her characterisitics, she will begin puberty and hormones will run rampant. There isn't much hope that the bond will continue to last as her personality is likely to change during this period, and if you're not there literally 24-7, ready to separate them in a second's notice, it wouldn't really be continually safe for the two to meet.

Alfalfa isn't really needed, doesn't hurt at a young age but rabbits evolved on a rather meager diet. Those often cited "needs" come into play when the goal is to bring them to butcher weight asap, for example.
That she (they are both girls?) likes grass hay too actually is a very good thing.

I would definitly not seperate them without a reason, I'm always keeping the doelings with the adult does for 5-6 months, some even longer. If there is no sign of trouble and their characters aren't completly incompatible they will sort out their hierachy. I keep all my rabbits in pairs. Also, does have gradual escalation steps, they don't go from peace to full out fight, bucks do that sometimes though.

It doesn't hurt to have a Plan B ready if they really don't get along long term, that is indeed a possibility when getting such a young rabbit, but I wouldn't expect that to be too likely.

I brought home a one and a half year old Holland Lop bunny about a month ago, and we have a very strong bond already-- he acts like a small dog, lol! I was worried about him being lonely when I'm not there, so I brought home a seven week old female to keep him company. I have introduced them to each other successfully,
I recently adopted an inseparable 1.5 year bun and 7 week old bunny together.

Please refrain from altering the narrative. Providing correct info is vital to receive accurate responses. It seems you didn't like the answer from the first post regarding typical baby "bonds," and so altered the story with this second thread. We are here on this forum to offer help. The cautions (about what may happen with these baby bonds) are given out of concern for what serious harm could potentially come to your rabbits. We are all here to help each other take the best care of our rabbits.

Hormones are unpredictable. What or how much effect they have on an individual rabbit will vary per rabbit. When a female's hormones kick in, it can even affect the behavior of the neutered male as he senses those hormones. It is possible that they might get along for awhile. However, it is just as possible that those hormones will interfere. It may be impossible to imagine that snuggling, loveable rabbits could possibly turn on each other. However we have seen it countless times here on the forum. ("What happened?! My bonded bunnies adored each other and now they're fighting?!!) So please be careful! Rabbit fights can be vicious (even bloody and deadly). Keep a close eye for changes.

Back