Hay Question..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FallingStar

Reaction score
Ok, well I was wondering that is it ok to feed rabbits alfafla hay? Because I've heard that if your rabbits are outdoors than it's ok. Because I feed them alfafla and give them just regular hay to use for bedding. And they also like to eat the alfafla and the hay. Is that ok for them to eat the bedding hay?

Because I've heard lots of things about hay for rabbits and all. So any advice or comments about this?

Thanks,

Karlee

ETA: Sorry about the bad spelling....

I've heard it's best for bunnies under 6 months old or for those who need to gain weight. It fattens them up, so that makes sense for outdoor buns. BUT, I believe it is also high in calcium (someone correct me if I am wrong). High calcium leads to bladder sludge, bladder stones, etc. That is all I can really say in the matter. I would think that giving them a mixture of timothy and alfalfa would be OK. You know, like 75% timothy and 25% alfalfa. :)

Ohhh, ok. Thanks, because I usually give them alfalfa during the winter/cold months, and then which back to timothy. So I'll start giving them some timothy and alfalfa now. Does that sound good?

Karlee

It's just a matter of if they have OK calcium levels, I believe. It should be OK that way, but I would wait for someone else to give an opinion before you take action :) I could be wrong :biggrin2:

If you feed them too much than they can get fat, you don't want Winston getting back up in pounds!! You could just give them some of your sunflower seeds to keep them warm, plus if they have hay and maybe a box than they can bed in that to keep warm.

Like I said before BSAR, I DONT FEED THEM HAY ALL THE TIME. I only feed them alfalfa in the winter or cold months. It's not like they are being feed fatting hay all the time and everyday. I usually give them just timothy for a couple of days (like 5 days) and then give them alfalfa, and so on.

And I'm not worried about them getting too cold or anything, I have that already under control.

I give Berry-Boo alfalfa on and off. She gets the compressed cubes of alfalfa about once a week. One cube per week keeps her svelte figure!

Hi,

First....rabbits should have hay all the time. It is essential for proper digestionand it is also the primary way the teeth are worn down. I don't care if my rabbits eat their very limited amount of pellets as long as they eat that hay. Most of the commonly held beliefs about alfalfa hay are not so true. It does contain much more protein than most grass hays. But it usually contains the same or a little less than the pellets that most people tend to overfeed (comment not aimed to you....just a general comment). And it still has lots of beneficial fiber. The belief that it cause bladder sludge was based strictly on observations that people thought the crystals in the urine were all calcium and that was causing sludge. Rabbits do metablolize calcium differently than most other animals and it is excreted in the urine. But it appears that extra calcium isn't the real problem. Dehydration is one of the primary causes of this issue. And it appears that some rabbits are just prone to calcification issues. Same thing in people with kidney stones (I happen to be well versed in them). You can have two people eat the same diet, drink the same beverages or whatever....one may get stones and one may not. I do feed our rabbits alfalfa....alfalfa hay is better than no hay at all. My primary concern would be more with weight gain than with any urinary issues.

Randy

kherrmann3: That's the same with me, I give them alfalfa on and off. :DAnd of course shehas to keep her figure!

ra7751: Yes, I keep giving them hay all the time, I'm just saying the I'm switching on and off with timothy and alfalfa. They are hardly ever without hay, they might of had no hay once, when my mum forgot to get some. But that was it. I'm sorry if I miss wrote what I said before, but they are always with hay. ;)

Karlee

If you're putting (timothy?) hay down as bedding and then feeding them alfalfa, sounds like they're good to me. ;)

I usually give my bunnies a small handful of alfalfa as a treat a few times a month. They're still considered outdoors, I guess, just protected from the elements and predators.

I also gave my pregnant doe alfalfa while she is pregnant, she only got about 2 tiny handfuls, just twice...wondering if that's ok? I will give the babies alfalfa hay when they're little too.

Emily

kherrmann3 wrote:
I give Berry-Boo alfalfa on and off.  She gets the compressed cubes of alfalfa about once a week.  One cube per week keeps her svelte figure!

I get those for my buns too and they love them, I do the same once a week they each get a cube, once they're together I will have a problem though as Winston likes to snack on his while Charlie will just not stop till it's gone. She's like that will all food, my little piggy.

Lol- I love the importance of hay to rabbit owners, it kind of cracks me up. Usually horse people are the ones who get dissed on being picky about hay. Really though, rabbits are much more easily compared to cows- as in they can eat hay that has some dust and different degrees of quality. Horses, though, cannot. Hay is regarded more as a "filler" and yes, it does help with the digestive tract. I'm not exactly sure about the teeth though because my animals get hay when they're young and being weaned from mom; other than that it's a treat every couple days or so. I had a strain of Cals before that were prone to malocclusion and I tried hay- it never worked on filing even after the teeth were cut. As for always having hay...... as long is it's not a second cut alphalpha/clover mix hay which could potentially make the animal gain weight too quickly if fed with a high quality pellet it's find to have hay for them all the time- it cuts down on boredom and I'm sure it's got to do something for the teeth.

Umm....I have to disagree with a posted comment. Rabbitsshare little withcows and are almost identical in nutritional requirements of a horse. Most of the medical treatments for rabbits are related to those used in horses. The digestive systems of a horse and arabbit are very similar.Like horses, rabbits require clean high quality hay free of mold and mycotoxins. Only horse quality hay should be offered to a rabbit....never cattle or goat quality hay. Many other species can handlelower quality offood.Hay should be considered the primary nutritional source for rabbits and under normal conditions a rabbit can live a very healthy life eating only high quality hay....low protein and high fiber just as nature intended. The nutrients in alfalfa hay are essential to a healthy rabbit and we feed alfalfa hay regularly here. The thing with that is that most people over feed pellets. Pellets were originally intended for an industry we don't like to talk about and were intended to add weight quickly. I have a pair of Flemish Giants that weight well into the 20 pound range andeach of themget about 1/3 cup pellets per day. Our dwarfs and Polish get about 1/8 cup pellets per day. In reality, weight gain is more correctly pointed to overfeeding high protein pellets. We have a very large population of rabbits and I don't care if theyeat pellets or not....as long as they are eating lots of hay and it is provided for them at all times. Hay is essential to control the GI transit time....that is the time from the time food is eaten until the remains are excreted as waste as well as assisting in providing a stable pH which is necessary for the growth and reproduction of benefical bacteria. It is the primary way that teeth are kept at a proper length. It is not how hard something is, it's how chewy it is. Teeth are worn by tooth to tooth contact during chewing. Different types and cuts of hay require differing chewing mechanisms and that wears the teeth. This is all assuming proper occlusion (alignment of the teeth). If the teeth are maloccluded, they obviously cannot contact each other and will not wear down. This requires manual intervention either by trimming or extracting the offending tooth....and the opposing tooth on the opposite arcade. If the incisors are the problem and extraction is required....all six incisors should be extracted.Malocclusion can be a genetic issue, trauma (broken jaw for example), infection (molar root impaction resulting in abscesses) or age (teeth become loose and move from an occluded position). Lots of high quality hay should be provided at all times....and we go thru hundreds of pounds of hay per week.

Randy

I definitely agree with Randy! Every rabbit savvy vet I have been to has emphasized the importance of good quality hay for rabbits. Even my local vet (who isnt really rabbit savvy) told me he has always thought of rabbits as little horses since their digestive systems are so similar!

I also agree with Randy. When I adopt out one of our rescues, I always emphasize that hay is at the top of the rabbit food pyramid. There have been a few times that I have run out of pellets for a day or two when my shipment is delayed and I don't worry about it. It just forces the buns to eat more hay if they are hungry.

How do you know what is considered good quality hay? I feed the Kaytee brand hay and always assumed it was good but I am wondering how you know. Thanks

Amy27 wrote:
How do you know what is considered good quality hay? I feed the Kaytee brand hay and always assumed it was good but I am wondering how you know. Thanks

Yeah, how do you for sure know that the hay you buy is good quality? Because when I buy hay I would just assmuse that it's ok, and fresh.

Karlee

Karlee,

I started another thread about what they mean when they say good quality hay. I am really confused about it to. I just buy what is available at the pet store and assumed it was good. Hopefully we will get some answers there.

Back