Hay Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loppy Earred Mom

Reaction score
I bought some Timothy hay from Walmart and Ifound it to be real low quality and my rabbit doesn't like it much afriend someone had given me some hay that she gives her rabbit and itwas timothy hay and was really fresh and my rabbit ate every bit ofit. Well shes on vacation so I cant ask her where she got itdoes anyone have any idea of where I can get my hands on or a sitewhere I can order whats called

Fresh Cut Timothy Hay?

I'm not sure, but I think what you're referringto is what farmers sell. Fresh cut timothy normally refers to hay thata farmer recently dried and is available for sale. I'd try contactingfarms in your area or check a local newspaper for timothy hay.

I've been making aswitch lately also. Actually Sebastian loved the Timothy hay fromWal-Mart the Haertz brand I think it was, but he was going through itso fast that I wanted something more economical. There was anotherbrand there that he didn't like though. Anyway, here in Kansas mychoices for fresh cut hay are brome or prairie hay. A friend of minecut some fresh brome and brought it to me. Sebastian has been eating itfine. I don't think he eats it as well as he did his Timothy hay, bithe's coming around. Good Luck!

RaspberrySwirl

Christine (u8myhouse) and I ordered a 50-lb. baleof Timothy from Oxbow's website. We split it, and with shipping, itcame out to about $28 for 25 pounds.

I really don't knowwhat a bale weighs (help me out on this Buck!) But they are maybe 2 x2x 3. You can see two of them end to end that the kids are standing onin this photo. Around here a bale costs less than $10.00.

Raspberry

crlmx

I but 60 lbs bales of timothy for about$4.00/$4.50 CDN around here. I figured it out that if I bought thelittle packages rom Walmart or a place like that, it would cost meabout $300 a year to let them have timothy available at all timesconsidering the amount they eat.

I "store" my hay, which I buy in bales, in largerectangular plastic bags I have. They are not sealed, so thecontentsdon't go moldy. The "bag" just serves tokeep the hay from falling all over my shed floor.

I've also used regular, large black trash bags, that tightly fit over abale of hay. I stood it up on end, and dispensed from theopen top. The rectangular bags I now usework wellon the castored shelving I built to hold my hay bale andstraw bale. They are becoming decrepid and "holey" with useand I will have to soon search on the internet for replacements.

My point is, simple plastic bags can serve to store your hay, in acloset if need be, as long as you don't seal it and permit it to getmoldy. I have six rabbits and go through one bale of hay andstraw each per year. That is with free feeding of hay yearround and straw bedding in the winter time for the hutchbound rabbits.

There is no need to spend excessive amounts of money on hay if you buyit by the bale, wherever horses and cattle arefound. On the other hand, spending a lot of moneyfor some things make some people feel better 'cause if it is expensive,it's got to be better, right?

Buck

Even though I happen to reside very close to ahuge farming community I still go for the pre-bagged Timothy hay, sincemy girls absolutely adore it! (FRESH? MOM!! what the fliddyflap isthis????? )push push nudge nudge-they are just a tad like their mom whoprefers farmed salmon to fresh salmon-yeah yeah, I know) sad isnt it?

Anyhow, with that said-

Every bun has their preference :p

Off for the day, salutations from the land of WOODY PET!!!!

Cher, Jezebel and Jaden

Oh I WISH I could buy a bale of hay for my buns,but we live in the basement of our friend's condo. We haveone room and VERY limited space. The garage is out of thequestion since our roommate has her jetski in there and there is nomore room.

We have an overhang behind us outside our door, but it still would getwet. Could we maybe cover it with tarp? We have ourWoody Pet back there in a big ole new garbage pail that I can refil mysmaller tupperware as needed.

If not, looks like the packaged hay is what we have to live with.

We're in the process of finding a feed storearound here. The one I thought would be decent didn't have squat.Wasn't a wasted trip however, had a lot of other nice stuff there Ilike!

We keep our hay in a plastic bag too, in one of our closets. It's just cleaner and easier that way.

bunsforlife wrote:

...We have an overhang behind us outside our door, but it stillwould get wet. Could we maybe cover it with tarp?...If not,looks like the packaged hay is what we have to live with.

Probably not the best solution, the tarp, that is.Yes, I guess you do have to live with the pre-packaged hay andprices. As Cher says, her buns prefer it, so who's to say?

Buck

i dont know if you can get this everywhere, buthere at a couple pet stores they sell largish bags of timothy hay..smaller than a bale, larger than the little prepackaged ones.only $8 (which is the same price i was paying for the littlebags!) my guys wont eat the hay if it's not almost all greenso i hafta pick through the bags to find one that's green! ifit's too dry they'll drag it out of their litter boxes :pspoiled kidlets

Back