Hay question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iluvmybuns

Reaction score
So the feed store (The only one anywhere near here) only sells bales of Timothy/Alfalfa mix. They sell 9lb bags of timothy but it's $17.00

Will it be bad if they get the mix? I am too scared to buy it and then have a whole bale of hay I can't use.

How old are your buns? I wouldn't buy the mix if I were you, but then again, it wouldn't hurt completely to feed an adult bun the alfalpha, but a bale is quite a bit. Can you get just the timothy somewhere else? Or even timothy mixed with say orchard grass? I don't think I would if yours are adult buns.

hehe, did the Ozzy monster already get through that bag of hay I gave you??

It depends on mixes, sometimes there is very little alfalfa and sometimes theres a lot. You really dont know unless you look at the hay up close. That hay I gave you had some alfalfa in it, but not much. You can tell by looking at the hay, the timothy stalks have the long tip on the end, alfalfa looks sort of like aflat clover.

If its green and seems like nice hay, I'd say go for it. If you notice any excess cecals you will know its the hay.

I need to buy some more for myself here sometime soon but I cant get ahold of that farmer where I bought it before. Let me know if this stuff doesnt work out (from the feed store) and I'll pick you up some when I get mine (hopefully sometime soon).

I give my guys a mix I get free from my uncle.. it's the softest greenest hay I've ever had! It's probably a 90% Timothy 10% alfalfa, there's barely any in it, but even the little bit tempts my guys to eat more! They nose through the hay to find the alfalfa bits then eat the rest after :).

I say it should be fine :).

Okay thanks guys, I called a bunch of places and the only place I found with a bale of pure timothy was 50lbs and it was $60.00

How much is in a regular bale anyway? That seemed ridiculous to me.

wow, thats too much!

You know those huge bales I had in my garage? (not sure how much it weighs but it was about 3-4 feet long and 1-2 feet high). Those were $4.00 each.

I hope this guy calls me back so I can go get a bunch. They love it at the shelter and have been begging me to bring more down. That stuff they get is like straw.

Just a thought on this thread....any hay a horse can eat, so can a rabbit. Find the equine community. I buy lots of hay from a grower that grows and bales his own hay for his show horses that are worth tens of thousands of dollars each. I have no worries about the quality of hay. I routinely buy hay from him at less than $5 per bale. And his quality rivals the "brand name" hays at many times the cost. And if someone feeds it to his horse, you can be assured that it is good hay. A horse and rabbit gut are almost identical and both are very sensitive to mold.

And you do want a mix of hays. I have no idea where the thing saying "timothy" is the only or the best. Hay does several things. First, lots of hay keeps the GI tract in good working order. High fiber keeps things flowing thru nicely. Second, hay is the primary way to keep those teeth worn down. Contrary to popular belief, it's not how hard something is, it's how chewy it is. Wood blocks and pumice stones are cute and they are profitable for the pet stores....but they really don't do anything for the teeth. It's the tooth to tooth contact that wears the teeth down....and also why proper occulcion is necessary. Hay is very chewy and takes a lot of effort to chew....keeps the bunny busy too. If you watch, they don't really chew up and down in a crushing motion.....it's a side to side motion in which they are actually folding the hay stems into something that looks like an accordian. By using different types and textures of hays, it requires different chewing mechanics and works the teeth in a different motion for each type of hay. There is a difference in first and second cut timothy hay. Orchard grass, bermuda, brome, etc all have different textures and work the teeth differently. And stemmy hay is much better than leafy hay. And honestly.....wouldn't you get tired of eating the same old bland stuff your entire life? It's sorta like the rice only diet....and variety (safely) is the spice of life.

And the thing about alfalfa, it is true that alfalfa should be offered only as a treat to most adult house rabbits...but the bottom line in this thought.....alfalfa hay is better than no hay at all.

My buns have all sorts of different hays available to them. We even mix the hays to allow them to "forage" as they would in nature. They have a ball with a big pile of hay....I have "tumbleweed" bunnies.

Randy

OMG Randy I love you haha. I called a horse place and they said they have huge bales for $5 and it is really good quality hay!!! Thank you!!!!

I swear people in this area must not take very good care of their horses. For years Ive been calling horse stables, farms etc asking if they sell timothy or know anyone who does. The best Ive ever gotten is that the hay they buy/sell is a 50/50 timothy/alfalfa mix.

I so hope this stuff you found turns out to be good, Julia. Save us some $$ :D

Okay well I'll look at it before I buy it. We have a plan B. My uncle is a hydrosodder(in other words a hermit)and he has bunnies and emus and peacocks and fox and deer and all sorts of animals.

He said that he has farmer friends and can get me a bale off second cut timothy hay for free because they will laugh at him for asking for only one. Nice huh? SO either way we have hay!!!!

Sounds good!

Oh, and I read a good suggestion the other day for if the hay is bothering your (or your boyfriend's) allergies: As you take it out of the bag, spray a little bit of water on it. That settles the dust a little.

Youre so smart ;)Poor guy was scared I was going to send him for the hay and he was going to have to be admitted to the hospital...

Wow...we do have something good around here....nice hay. But if horses are eating the hay with no problems....you can be assured it's OK for a rabbit. And if you can find the really high end equine centers that have the huge homes and stuff built around stables...many times they have a specific grower that meets their demands for hay. Many of the horse tack shops can hook you up with some really good hay.

And a side note to the horse/rabbit relationship....many of the medical treatments for rabbits are directly related to horse treatments. From the info I am seeing, I suspect many vets will be treating EC in rabbitswith a drug developed to treat a similar condition, called EPM, in horses. I will take help on that one anywhere I can get it.

Randy

Someother little tidbits of information about finding hay. Check your state Department of Agriculture. I know that NC and VA have links on their sites to hay exchanges where people are buying or selling hay. I have been able to find high quality hay that way too. If there is a vet school in your area with an equine program....don't be shy about asking them for help finding hay.

Randy

What a great thread! Randy, I am saving all you've said for future reference in notepad :D.

What are your thoughts on rabbits eating different types of grasses as well as hays? I have no idea at all what type of hay I have, neither does the feed store which worries me. When I asked I got "It's hay man..." and a funny look.

All my rabbits enjoy different kinds of grasses though and I was curious on your thoughts about that.

Thanks in advance,
Michelle

Back