Hay + Pellets?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathy

Reaction score
My friend was just down at a farm and boughtboth her and my rabbit some hay + pellets. The HUGE bag of hay she gotfor only $3 isn't actually Timothy Hay -- it's from the farmer's grassoutside and she's been told that it's really good stuff (their rabbitseat it, too). Do you think it's a good idea to let Romeo have some ofit? If I throw it away, I feel like it's going to waste, I can't stresshow big the bag is.

Well, with the pellets, again, she got for an awesome price, but has noidea whether it's timothy or alfafa based ones. I have a big bag ofthat as well. So, what do you guys think?

Hi Kathy, hope you're enjoying life in BC!

The pellets are probably alfalfa, there should be a brand name orcontents list on them, but they're probably fine, just introduce themvery slowly. The first feeding should be 20%mixedwith the old brand, and gradually increase it from there.

The content figure you need to pay attention to isthe proteincount, because a lot of commercial pellets are designed for breedingand fattening up bunnies, but your bunny is still young,right? So he needs a higher count, anyway.

Does thehaylook like normalhay?It's probably fine to give him some, but mix itwith Timothy, it could be a little rich. Just give him alittle bit, 20% grass, the rest Timothy.

I've actually been meaning to check out the localgrass mixaround here, if you want to trade for some Timothy, let meknow. :)

sas

I'd love to trade for some Timothy with you! Ican't believe how big this bag is for just $3, lol, It's like a wholegarbage bag PACKED. It was almost half of one of those huge bales. Itook one look at it and said, "How is Romeo ever supposed to finish allthat?!"

Latest posts

Back