Hay mix

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korr_and_Sophie

Reaction score
I will be getting some bales of hay for a farmer and they are 10% alfalfa, 40% Timothy and 50% Brome. It's $4 for 60lbs. It this Ok for adult rabbits. I have been feeding timothy but I can't afford $40 a month to buy from a petstore.

Can you send me some? As long as the hay is clean and has no mold, it is fine for a rabbit. We routinely get hay like that from horse people. And the price is always much better than the "elite" type hay and is usually close to as good. Our rabbits love to munch on the local hay....it's meant for litter boxes but is perfectly safe for them to eat. And for better dental health...a mix of hays is always a good thing.

Randy

Oh...I'm SO JEALOUS...we pay $20 for 120lbs here (straight Timothy).

I won't complain TOO loudly, since that's the BEST price around here, and sure beats the HECK out of buying bags of hay from Target and the likes!! :D

My husband says to tell you: "That amazing hay price is one of the few benefits of putting up with the Flames."

He's so silly...:biggrin2:

Sounds great! That little bit of alfalfa won't hurt most buns unless they have really sensitive stomachs. I feed a similar mix- timothy and bluegrass- to my buns and they love it. They like sorting through the different stuff and eating the best bits first before the eat the rest of it.

I have a bluegrass hay with about 10% alfafa in it. The buns love searching for that one or two strands of alfafa in the handful. I haven't seen any signs of upset tummies from any one of them.

I also bought a nice timothy too. I have to wait for them to clear up a bit more of the blue grass before I can fit the timothy in my inside bin.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back