Hay mat

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharonb1515

Reaction score
I have a wire bottom cage for my holland lop...I have a litter pan on one end and a hay mat on the other end for her. She keeps going to the bathroom on the hay mat and it gets smushed in..I usually will flip it and then she messes that side...I am going to be going through hay mats like crazy at this rate...Any suggestions?

Maybe try a piece of flat wood? It's just so that she has a resting place for her feet, right? You could also cover a thick piece of cardboard or stick-on tile with fabric (old sheets, fleece, etc.) and place that on the wire.

I'd suggest moving the litterbox to where she is going. I'd also remove the urine-smelling mat. If she smells that on there, then she'll probably pee on it no matter where you put it. Maybe try cardboard in the meantime, which should be easier/cheaper to replace if needed.

I would say cover up the wire. She may be going on the mat because she doesn't want to travel to the other side and hurt her feet in the process. Cover the base with some cardboard/wood/carpet etc and thoroughly wash the soiled mat and she should go back to her normal toilet.

where are you feeding her? if she's sitting on the mat while munching on hay or pellets or something, that would explain her leaving pellets there - they like to eat and poop in the same spot.

also, how old is she and is she spayed? young and/or unfixed bunnies don't tend to be as pristine in their litter box habits - mine are 16-17 weeks (and won't be spayed until next month) and only pee in the litter box but will leave poops in other locations.

Beauty was perfect with her litter box habbits before her spay. After her spay she is less than 50% with the litter box. It has been over 2 weeks even. I was disapointed.

Good luck with her.

Latest posts

Back