hay cost question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manda

Reaction score
just for curiousity

how much do you spend on your hay a week? Where do you get it? what brand is it? how many bunnies does that feed?

i am spending 8.99 a week on oxbow timothy hay for two rabbits. Ryo is 6lbs and Alex i maybe three lbs now. i have been looking for hay from a local farmer for about a year now and i have had not much luck. i found some local hay but it was dusty, kept outside and smelt musky! so i am sticking with oxbow i guess!

Well, I just bought a bale and I'm never going back to store bought hay! It was around 8 dollars for some nice fresh green hay(I know have 5 overflowing HUGE bags full of it!)

I got it at a feed store, and it was great quality. It's timothy. If you can find a feed store, go for that instead. You'll have more hay then you'll know what to do with! Oxbow is g ood, but youcan find MUCH cheaper and maybe even better hayat feed stores.

I use Oxbow as well. I buy the bigger 40oz bag.I cant remember how much..probably around 10 bucks or less.My guys must not eat as much as yours though. I give them unlimited hay and one bag lasts about 2-3 weeks.

I used to use Kaytee, but after switching to Oxbow, I wont be going back. This just seems a lot more fresh and a lot less dusty!

-Haley

Just keep looking around with people who sell hay. Try to get a bale from this year and horse quality. It's gross how much I spent on hay, when I could have saved a whole wack of money. You'll find some good baled hay somewhere!

you guys are so lucky....

i lost my job and i have to find hay! i looked online, at farmer stores EVERYWHERE.

and i live in kentucky for crying out loud

Does anybody know where I can get a bale of hay in the Toronto area (with 4 babies we go through a lot of hay). I'm actually in the Durham region.

Thanks

Soooska:apollo:

Hey Dawn- 2 hours away? Where (around) do you get your hay? I just got a bale from a place in Cloverdale (I think it was $9 with tax) and it was very good quality hay. She said it was 55lbs, but it was a pretty large bale so I think it is quite heavier!

I don't know about hay since we have only been giving her timothy hay - and it's about $2.50 for maybe 10oz but it lasts about two weeks.

As far as litter for her cage (we buy her a special kind of cedar for bunnies) and we pay about $5.00 for 3 pounds, but the breeder I was looking at in my area for my new holland sells close to the same thing and it's like $2.00 for a 50 pound bag so lol i may start going to him soon lol. He also makes those huge custom cages starting at only $40

Spring- I get my hay from Chilliwack, but I've heard of the place in Langley and they are good too. The bales are huge, a 60lb bale just fit in the back of my hatch back and the 90lb bale took up the whole back seat of my friends Corolla. Because hay is so light, it takes a whole lot of it to make up 60lbs.

--Dawn

I spend roughly $0.17 a week on hay for all 3 inlcuding waste. I buy it from a farmer for $3.00-$4.50 for a small square bale (averagebeing 60 lbs)depending on the year.

I buy mine from a farmer just down the road for $3 a bale.

Soooska...take a drive out to the country, almost any farm will sell you a bale for about $3, also check in the Sun under produce or farm supplies.

I get my timmy hay from a local farmer for about $4 a bale (about 50 pounds). I used to buy Oxbow and loved it but it was way too expensive. Plus I like that I am supporting local farmers and getting really fresh locally-grown hay. It is a very nice product. I go through about a bale every month in the summer. It will sometimes last me 6 weeks. I have two 10 pound rabbits.

jil101ca wrote:
I buy mine from a farmer just down the road for $3 a bale.

Soooska...take a drive out to the country, almost any farm will sell you a bale for about $3, also check in the Sun under produce or farm supplies.
Make sure to ask the farmer what kind they sell. I know if you did that here, chances are you would find/buy alfalfa hay. You can look online for hay classifieds.

The biggest problem is finding a farmer that doesn't think selling a bale or 2 is a waste of time. I think I phoned 8 or9 places and found one that was willing to sell me 2 bales, the others would not waste teir time for 2 bales.

Back