Hay contamination at local store?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angoragrl

Reaction score
I commonly get hay from a little pet store by me. this store also sells rabbits and I normally go in there and give them some attention because they always look so lonely. Welli was there yesterday and all the cages were empty. . . Thinking that maybe they had decided to stop selling them, I asked the young man who was in the area and was told that they had lost them all recently and he thought it was becauseof a problem with the hay. I could not find anyone who knew for sure since the owner wasn't there but now I am really worried about my boys. . . I threw out all the hay that I had and got them new stuff, and they have been acting normally. Should I take them in for a check up anyway? I'm really worried about my boys.

I think I would try to get more info on what happened, like what the rabbit's symptoms were. It could also have been a problem they had from birth/the breeder's place. Most times pet store rabbits coem from bunny mills, and we all know what the conditions can be like in those places. Go ahead and play it safe with the hay, but try to find out more in the meantime.

I'm planning on going back by there tonight. The owner of the store is usually there (it's a small store) and is really nice. There is always a chance that the guy who I talked to didn't really know what was going on but I just didn't want to take that chance. I was actually there to buy hay but quickly decided to go somewhere else.

gentle giants wrote:
I think I would try to get more info on what happened, like what the rabbit's symptoms were. It could also have been a problem they had from birth/the breeder's place. Most times pet store rabbits coem from bunny mills, and we all know what the conditions can be like in those places. Go ahead and play it safe with the hay, but try to find out more in the meantime.
I agree. People misdiagnose buns so frequently, it's good to ask their symptoms and research yourself to figure out what happened. And GentleGiants is right, could've been that they were bred in unhealthy conditions and thus didn't have a very long lifespan.

Poor bunnies...:(

Back