HAWKS!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2snowbunnies

Reaction score
We have 3 red tail hawks that have been hanging out in our yard. They catch our chipmunks.

I was planning on getting the girls a really nice hutch for the summer and a rabbit run.

But now I'm terrified!

What the heck do I do!

I would cover the run securely with chicken wire.

We have hawks, too. I rarely let my buns out to play and whenI do, I'm right there, keeping an eye to the sky.

Recently for the past two years, we have hadhawks or falcons (they never land near the apartments, so we can't tellif they are hawks or falcons, I'm thinking Hawk though), we also haveconcures or buzzards, its either or. Can't get a real good look, butthey are huge black birds, I think I saw a red head, though they wereflying over the condo place I want to move to.

The place (the condo) has 93 acres of woodlands, and a big lake. I justknow I can never take my rabbits out far, scared they willget snatched up even on leashes!!

wow i can't get over the snow.... :shock: hehe i haven't seen snow in years, oh how i don't miss it.

She should come to my house... we have chipmunksEVERYWHERE. We usually find evidence in our garage, acorns, seeds, thatsort of thing. My MIL was cleaning her closet after my FIL passed awayand she found acorns there. :shock:I don't take my rabbitoutside really because people let their dogs run around the area. Somedogs killed my MIL's ducks a few years back. I am scared that theymight go after my TinkleBunny.

~Star~

This is another reason I do not keep my rabbitsout in the yard. We have them here all season. That's why I keep themsupervised on my poarch.

If your bun is caught - shoot(That's if you're experiancedwhith guns and aim well - you don't whant to shoot the bun!!) the birdor knock it over the head(Birds have weak skulls and hearts.) that willdisable it's movement - then gentally pull the talons or beak from thebun. Then take the bun to the vet immediantly!! Hawk claws, here inV.A. can get over 2 inches long!! The bun can easily die from bloodloss or severe bacterial infection!!

For now keep them supervised or in a strong inclosure. How big are these hawks?
If you whant, you call pest controll to take care of this problem. Yes,any animal that is causing you heavey trouble - can be called a pest. Idon't know how they would it though.......

We don't have any guns.

I am planning to keep them on the porch right outside the office window I sit at here.

I have a door from my office that goes directly yo where the buns will be kept.

And I will only let them loose on the porch if they are supervized.

I am thinking of putting a bunny door in the door that will go inot their hutch outside.

If you have a nice, sturdy run you will be fine.And if you want to walk your bunny around use a harness. If a hawkpicked my rabbit up while she's in a harness I'd reel the bird in andpunch him...really.

Yes The bird would have to carry us both off! Becasue there is no way I would let go!

I'll get some harnesses for each bunn!

OH NO:(

There is a hawk this morning perched up in one of our trees. I thinking we must have nest close.

Most likely, a hawk(Depending on where youlive.) won't be able to carry a rabbit over 7-8 pounds. And anaggressive rabbit that will kick and bite, the bird would rather giveup than continuing to fight. I've seen whith Snow Show Hares and Hawks.A big rabbit could fight one off. But don't take me as some bloodthirsty wolf. I watch alot of Discovery Channle and natureshows. And yes!! There are fake owls- that if some thingwalks in the path where it's sensor can detect it - will turn it'shead, hoot, and sread out his wings. A night their eyes glow. Theirmostly used to scare off animals like wild Rabbits, stray Cats, andRaccoons. But you can get ones that don't move.
I totally forgot what they are called, but there are these type of"Hawk-Like" birds and their really small. They hunt Owls( That areflying.) in packs of 2-3 members. It's pretty creepy. Andthere are these 2 birds(Too high for me to see.) and I'veseen them before. They can be just one or 2 members, their small, andthey will persure a hawk. I have actually seen 2 kill one. They startedballing around in the sky. I heard the Hawk screaching, and they allfell. It could be the same type of bird that kill Owls.

If you have at least a Medium-Sized dog - keep him out there. Foxeswill prey on Hawks - and the Hawk may see him as a "predator."

We have several Red-tails in our neighborhoodand a Barred Owl and Great Horned Owl (owls can take prey by day). Theyare always flying around so I NEVER leave my bunnies outside alone.That is the only defence against them. Birds are not the only thing tothink about, cats and stray dogs also my get your babies.

As an extra measure, I make sure my parent's dog is also watching mybunnies when I'm outside. She normally lays down near them. Because sheis so alert, I know when something is coming and can get my bunnies intheir carriers if another dog is coming.

On another note, remember it is illegal to kill birds of prey - sooooif one HAPPENS to die during a bunny incident it would be good not tomention it to anyone.

I remember reading in Bird Talk Magazine a letter from a reader about ahawk attack. She was sitting on a cabin porch with her Jardin's parroton her shoulder (around the size of a cockatiel). A hawk flew INTO theporch and tried to take the parrot from her shoulder. The bird missed,the parrot flew to the ground and the owner grabbed her pet. TheJardin's parrot was unharmed but I tell this story to show how boldsome predators can become. The owner was so shocked that it happened,so she wrote the letter as a warning to bird owners.

Thanks for letting me know about the bold move.
I have 4 children 8 and under and I would hate to have my children come to harm during an attack.

Latest posts

Back