Having trouble giving penicillin injections to bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if you want to be technical snuffles is a general term, it isn't a medical one. What would be considered snuffles usually is a URI caused by pasteurella which is what my Ringo had. When we finally did the right med combo we got it to become dormant for a couple of years now.

Yeah I heard they did a study and like 80% of rabbits carry it in their lungs. It's the weaker ones that show symptoms.

GorbyJobRabbits wrote:
Honestly it's not going to cure it. You can put a little bit of apple cider vinegar in the water every day and it will help with some symptoms... as well as getting Duramyacin-10 from any feedstore with cattle supplies.

Did the vet also do a nasal swab and run the tests? because if not, then they don't know for sure it's snuffles.

Maybe other people on here will answer differently and be able to help in other ways.... I just personally wouldn't give PennG to a rabbit that will never be cured... and each breakout you will get to do this over and over again.

I like this post, and I'm curious about the apple cider vinegar in water: How much apple cider vinegar should we mix in the water? I suppose you mean drinking water?

Bunnylova4eva wrote:

How much Benedryl do you use?  I'm needing to start using it with my bunny, just curious how much you give[

We give 1 mL every 12 hours. It's the stuff with 12.5mg of diphenhydramine per teaspoon

Well, we just gave Snuffers her injection. We tried it at room temp and made sure the needle could move under her skin before injecting. It took 40 min and 7 needle tips before we could get the penG in. :(

I'm sure we're doing it right- it just seems like the pressure in the syringe is off. When we get it through her skin, we literally cannot push the plunger in no matter how hard we try. I think we may need to talk to vet about better syringes- not sure what else it can be.

I do want to thank you all for the suggestions and the you tube video. We'll just keep trying and talking to the vet, and maybe we'll get it figured out. Thanks again! :)

rebeccashipp wrote:
Bunnylova4eva wrote:

How much Benedryl do you use? I'm needing to start using itwith my bunny, just curioushow much you give[

We give 1 mL every 12 hours. It's the stuff with 12.5mg of diphenhydramine per teaspoon

Ok dokey! :) Thanks for the reply! -How big is your bunny? I don't want to give the adult size bunny amount tomy little bunny.. :p

The needles we use are 25Gauge(diameter) by 5/8 in (length). These are very very thin, and its like night and day between these and thicker 20 gauge, they go in so much easier.

Hey!

Don't know if you still need help but I had to give one of my boys PenG injections awhile back and I actually had the same problem at first. I don't think, at least in my situation, that it was the needles because once I got better at giving the injections and got the hang of it they worked just fine.

Are you sure you're getting the needle in deep enough? My vet told me to put it under the skin. If you don't get the needle all the way through the layers of skin than I think what happens is that the rabbit's skin blocks the hole in the needle, which creates the problem you're describing. Did you're vet show you how to tent the skin and all that? Maybe taking the rabbit back in and having them show you again would be helpful?

Once you get the hang of it giving the injections does get easier! I had a bit of trouble with them at first too but I was an old pro at it by the time my guy was nearing the end of his treatment. Good luck!

How much PenG did the vet give you? I had a bun with pneumonia recently and she weighs in at 10lbs, she was given 1 full cc daily for 7 days plus 10 days on Duramycin-10 then we had to do an additional 7 days of Pen-G because her lungs weren't completely clear. Now she is fine.

I would definitely add the Duramycin-10 to what you are doing. I had a problem getting her shots in so I did it like a dog...pull up on the skin over her back and push it in there being careful not to go all the way through, I often had to stick her several times and I am a trained vet tech.

Back