having an issue with litter box training...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaustin15

Reaction score
okay, so i put two litter boxes in his cage as someone suggested because he was peeing on both sides of the cage. that worked great, and he only peed in the two boxes. but now when i tried taking one of them out, he still pees on that side. i even cleaned the area with vinegar-water solution ): he has hay in his litter box and spends most of his time in there. i don't see why he would venture to the other side to pee when he already pees in his one litter box. i tried putting his water bowl where he pees to discourage him, but he just pees around it. any suggestions?

thanks,
ali

Maybe try a larger litter box. If one won't fit maybe you just need to keep two in there until he is a little older. I remember you first posting about the problem so I don't think you have been using two boxes for very long, am I correct? :)

Keep the two litterboxes in there until. Until he gets it, until he stops peeing on the otherside or until......well maybe forever! haha.

Litter training buns isn't so much as training but figuring our their quirks and adjusting for that.

Also, how old is bunny and is he neutered? Unaltered buns will not generally have the most stellar litter box habits. And young buns it takes awhile for them to "get it".

How old is he? Is he neutered? In my experience some of my bunnies have been far more challenging to litter train...once they were spayed/neutered 100% better about! The absolute WORST, was our female, now 6 1/2 months old, was spayed 3 week ago...and now she is METICULOUS about using her litter box for pee and poop! I am not sure what else to suggest...perseverance! Good luck!

hes is neutered and is 1.5 years old. i guess i will just go get him another one to put in there (the reason i took the old one out was because he ate it lol - it was jut a large shoe box.) but yes, I've only been at it for like 2-3 weeks.

Yes, just give it more time. I've used multiple boxes in a cage for awhile with a pair of rabbits I had awhile back. Eventually they started going more in one box than the other. They did go down to using just one box.

Good luck. I wish I could offer some advice, but my rabbits took to it day one and I've never had any problems. However maybe it's because I used two cement mix tubs and the size and hay inside made it too comfortable for them to resist.

i have found that my rabbits let me know which corners of the apt they would like a little box in. its a trail and error thing until you get the litter boxes in the right areas, but its been pretty consistence about after a week in. we have 6 litters boxes littered throughout and have no issues. if your little one wants 2 give him 2.

Latest posts

Back