Have they been fed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollyHenstock

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here and I need a bit of help. My rabbit has two kits. I know a lot about raising them but no actually experience, so I need a bit of help to tell if these babies have been fed. They are warm and wriggly little things but I think they look a little skinny. I am completely prepared for hand rearing them but obviously I don't want to risk over-feeding. Thanks!

image_zpsshikspxl.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpss7awkj9r.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpsysvlv3mf.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

I must also mention, it has been around 48 hours since they were born (I found them Thursday morning at 6:30am so not sure what time they were actually born) and unfortunately one kit died in the night last night

Have a look through the Rabbitry and Showroom section youve posted in.
There are a few topics on the forum that include some photos with full baby bellies that you can compare too.
I apologize im on my phone, its a bit difficult to link stuff on here.
And i believe youre better off holding mom down and allowing the babies to nurse from her twice a day, rather then bring them in and bottle feed.
I dont think those are nice full bellies but perhaps its been a few hours since they last fed. Mom usually only does it twice a day. I believe Sarah (whoahlookitsme) has said if babies survive 48 hours then their likely being fed. But im not a breeder so i would do some searching on here until one of our breeding experts can reply.

They don't look full, but if they're 48 hours old and still active and moving around I tend to think that they were fed at least once. Newborns won't last more than about 48 hours without being fed, and if they are still alive they'd be too weak to nurse. Do you have another nursing doe you can foster them to?

They don't look full, but if they're 48 hours old and still active and moving around I tend to think that they were fed at least once. Newborns won't last more than about 48 hours without being fed, and if they are still alive they'd be too weak to nurse. Do you have another nursing doe you can foster them to?

No doe to foster them to unfortunately but I have been hand feeding them for two days now and they're doing really well! Mum isn't interested at all, tried to attack them actually which is why I took them away. Fingers crossed they will live :)

they don't appear to have been fed. be real careful hand feeding them. They aspirate VERY easily.

if the doe has become aggressive toward the kits I think it is a good thing you took them out. You could also hold the doe still on her back and then let the kits feed and after they have full bellies you could put them in their own little box until you feed them again.

Latest posts

Back