Have a question on a mini rex buk

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMALL S RABBITRY

Reaction score
I have a REW mini rex buck who is going to be in a show Nov. 20 and he weighs 4.41lbs so he needs to loss like 3oz so he wont be over weight and I was thinking about feeding him 3oz of feed instead of 4oz of food to see ifI can knockthe 3oz off of him would that hurt him in any way cause when I use to raise rabbits that is what I did back then to knock alittle weight off. So if you could let me know if I am doing right please let me know.........Toby

I think a bit less feed and a bit of activity will knock of those few ounces pretty quick. Definitely worked for my overweight Silver Fox bucks! Had to boot Charlie (my herdsire) out of his private cage for a couple days and he did nothing but lust after the other poor (non lusty and happily lazy) bucks. No fighting or aggression, he's just convinced everything's a doe. :)

Thanks and I thought it would work but just wanted to find out what some of the other breeders do for that and sorry for the spelling did not see that the c button did not work in the tittle..............Thanks again Toby

I give them hay and very little pellets the night or so before the show... It seems to help. That way they are getting fed, but will loose those few ounces...

Wow! What is your method, Toby!? Lol.
That's crazy - 1.5 ounces less in one day? Very nice. Hehe.

I usually just decrease pellets, exercise 'em on the harness for 30 min to an hour & also in the ex. pen... Sometimes it's successfull, sometimes not.

Emily

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
Wow! What is your method, Toby!? Lol.
That's crazy - 1.5 ounces less in one day? Very nice. Hehe.

I usually just decrease pellets, exercise 'em on the harness for 30 min to an hour & also in the ex. pen... Sometimes it's successfull, sometimes not.

Emily

Thanks Emily now the buck is just right I really dont know what is going on but I sure like it. One of my breeder friends years ago had a doe that was the same way and we never figuered out what was up it was strange I remember a double so she took the rabbit to one show was friday and the other show was saturday and in the friday show the doe got DQ for being 2oz over weight and the show on saturday won BOS now isnt that funny.........Toby

Now that's luck! lol.
Some judges don't weigh the rabbits though. Haha.

At the last show the scale was broken, I was kinda glad because I was worried my buck might be too close to max weight. He was really close to being over, and my scale is crap so I wasn't sure if it was correct or not. Hah.

Emily

BlueCamasRabbitry wrote:
Now that's luck! lol.
Some judges don't weigh the rabbits though. Haha.

At the last show the scale was broken, I was kinda glad because I was worried my buck might be too close to max weight. He was really close to being over, and my scale is crap so I wasn't sure if it was correct or not. Hah.

Emily
Yea I know it was........Toby

Back