Have a few Questions about Vet visit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yngmea

Reaction score
I took Browie(dwarf mix) to the vet yesterday(he is 7 yrs old). We lost Misty recently so I wanted to get Brownie a check up. Well he was a tad over wieght(no surprise there). Dr.Crum mentioned a couple of things about the eyes. one of which I have a question about.....for any savvy person to enlighten me on.
He said that Brownie had Nucleo Sclerosis (which I could not find that exact term) found nuclear sclerosis and has cataracts. Can rabbits have both? :?
otherwise the "old man" is doing great for 7 years old..new nickname of "chunk o monk" LOL

I do think they can coexist. Here's a rather technical but helpful document on cataracts in rabbits:
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Disorder/cataract.pdf

It mentions that the nucleus of the eye is the center of the lens. Sclerosis means "hardening", so the cataract is starting at the middle of the lens and is causing the lens to harden and become opaque.

I wouldn't worry a lot about it, but make sure the vet has ruled out E cuniculi as a cause of the cataract. It's a parasitic infection that can cause some serious damage to other systems of the body, but some success has been made lately by treating it with the antiparasitic Convenia. Unlike conventional antiparasitics, it can cross the blood-brain barrier, which is where EC does the most damage.

Since Brownie's older, the cataract could just be age-related. Does he have any urinary or hind leg mobility issues? These are also signs of EC.

Does the vet just want you to keep an eye on the eye? I think that's pretty common, although the article I posted recommends surgery.

No urinary or hind leg issues. he does hop slower since he is a bit of a chunk butt LOL

Ooops, major stupid mistake: I meant Ponazuril is the antiparasitic you would want. Convenia is an antibiotic. They're both newer drugs so I got the names mixed up.

The fact that there's no urinary or hind leg issues is good, as those are EC symptoms in some cases, but you may want to at least mention to your vet that you're concerned about E cuniculi being the cause of the cataracts. It can happen for no real reason--perhaps like it does in people--but sometimes EC causes these eye problems. EC can be very difficult for a bunny to live with, and early treatment (often before you see all the symptoms) can be really important.

If it's not EC, he may just live fine with his reduced sight. Bunnies rely a lot more on sound and whiskers to move around than they do vision. Many people have bunnies with impaired sight that do just fine.

All of us here that have white/albino bunnies, their eyesight is not great. They "scan" to get better "eyesight".

Rabbits can do fine with limited eyesight.

that's good :) I always have him in a playpen or watch him if he is loose so he shouldn't get into too much trouble.
and tonyshuman I will check with the Vet on EC...he didn't even mention it. said lungs..heart ..all looked and sounded good just was 1 and a half pound overweight. said fatty liver and arthritis might be worries down the road.

Latest posts

Back