Hates Housing?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittlePanda0

Reaction score
My rabbit Elsa destroys any type of housing I put in her cage recently I still consider myself a new owner but so I heard that it's good to give your rabbit housing to help them feel comfortable.
though now she would rather tear it up and flip it to sit in is it best to just build a more open and bigger cage?

Sounds like she is arranging whatever you put in there to her own satisfaction.
But a few more details will help sort out what's happening.
Is she stuck in a cage most of the day?
What type of flooring does the cage have?

She out most of the day unless I'm out but she is out when I'm back and the flooring is plastic

So it would be better to just make a bigger house I'm used to her being so small that I don't consider her housing size

"Bigger is better! A rabbit’s home should be at least 4-6 times the size of your bunny when he’s entirely stretched out–more if he is confined for a large amount of the day. Enclosure sizes also should be decided in conjunction with the amount of exercise time and space the rabbit has. One guideline to go by is at least 8 square feet of enclosure space combined with at least at least 24 square feet of exercise space, for 1-2 rabbits, in which the rabbit(s) can run and play at least 5 hours per day. You can build or buy your rabbit a two-story “condo” with the floors connected by a ramp–they love this!"

the above quote is from the House RAbbit Society:
http://rabbit.org/faq-housing/

I like the housing they created I'm already making design on how I want hers though she's out most of the day

im also looking into a few option(s) ...

seeing if a 5 ft ferret cage would be good option ( esp. redoing the ramps on it )

Our previous bunny was a rescue rabbit. She was abandoned at a city park and my daughter-in-law caught her. When we first got her, I went and bought a cage for the living room. I think she was 9 months old at the time....a bunny at Easter and an abandoned bunny at the end of September. I am sure she had been continuously caged for all her life. She wanted to run free in the house, so we let her. After maybe two months of living cage free in the house, the cage was still in the living room. We had a 10:00 AM vet appointment. The problem was that at that time, after running around in the house at 7:00 AM, eating, etc, Bunny would then go under the bed to sleep...meaning it was a problem to catch her to take her to the vet. So I caught her early in the morning and put her back in her old cage...SURPRISE...she went hysterical.. she went pacing back and forth, jumping up and down, biting at the screen wire...she just hated being in the cage. I picked her out and for the rest of her life she was never in a cage. Interestingly enough, she never was all that fussed about being put in a carrier cage to take to the vet..

Has she passed...I can see why my girl hates it she would be out for most of the day but when I pit her up for a few she waits until she see me to go after the bars she's closest to

Latest posts

Back