Has anyone...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitelop

Morgan
Reaction score
Has anyone ever forgotten they left their rabbit out?
Haha. I don't mean for like a week at a time or outside or anything. I got up really early this morning, and my bun looked like she wanted to get out of the cage. So I let her out. (she's in the kitchen and its bun-proofed.) As I was reading something online in my totally quiet house I heard a thud coming from the kitchen. I noticed a diaper box was turned up, I looked and there was bunny foo foo. HAHAHA. I put a diaper box on its side in the floor for her to play with, she got in it and flipped it onto its bottom. So she was kind of trapped in it. I couldn't help but laugh as I saw her big butt in that box staring up at me like "oh, I didn't really want you to see this" I flipped it back over and she hopped out. I walked back into the kitchen to refill my coffee, to find no bunny. So I looked in her favorite corner, nothing. I looked in the diaper box and she was stretched out in it! She found a nice spot to relax. She makes me laugh!
But have any of you let your bunnies out into a room and kind of forgotten they were out and seen something funny when you walked back into the room?

Normally in our house it is the buns doing a jail break, they are really good at it. Luckily the whole house is bun-proofed so there really isn't anything they can hurt (or get hurt).

They really do get this "I meant to do that" sort of look on their faces when you see them do something clumsy, it's so funny! Sometimes we have a hard time finding the kids but all we have to do is rattle a snack bag and they come out of hiding, which is normally from under furniture.

When I caught Panda and Bunnicula grooming eachother the first time they quickly hopped appart and looked all innocent, like I had caught teenagers making out. :p

It has not happened to me YET. But then again I have only let my rabbits out of their cages to run around 3 times so far. So far the only place that is bunny proofed is the kitchen, so I have to carry the rabbits over to there to let them run around.

Bugsy almost gave me a heart attack!
I took the day off work because I wasnt feeling too well. I let Bugsy out early in the am and was laying on the couch watching tv. Kids were in daycare, hubbo was at work and the house was so quiet!! If i would have remembered he was out I would have put him back in his cage so that I could nap... i forgot and passed out on the couch. Woke up to a big fat bun in my face!! He hopped on the couch right on my stomach and I **** near fainted! LOL!

Yeah, I always forget Crumble and that's not a good thing because he's wicked fast! He wears a bell now so that we know where he is. He trips us a lot and we go in and out a lot because of the pup so we found it more risky for him not to wear one. Anyway, last time, I forgot about him and he was up on the second floor, lounging with Houdina, our cat. Most of the time, he's just lying down in a corner somewhere and then he'll just run out as fast as possible and go skidding across the floor. He has made that into quite a sport... Totally spooks us too! :)

Hahahaha, Panda does the same thing as Crumble.

I have this terrible fear that my boyfriend will step on him, because he makes these psychotic dashes out from under furniture. like.......OH HIIIIIIII!

We put a bell on Oreo too! She's is the same way.. she will just dart out of nowhere. my husband has fallen several times avoiding stepping on her!!

Nela wrote:
Yeah, I always forget Crumble and that's not a good thing because he's wicked fast! He wears a bell now so that we know where he is. He trips us a lot and we go in and out a lot because of the pup so we found it more risky for him not to wear one. Anyway, last time, I forgot about him and he was up on the second floor, lounging with Houdina, our cat. Most of the time, he's just lying down in a corner somewhere and then he'll just run out as fast as possible and go skidding across the floor. He has made that into quite a sport... Totally spooks us too! :)

is there a harness/collar that you'd recommend for bunnies? I have a feeling my little Nala's going to need a "warning" bell once I'm able to let her roam free, heh.

I use a kitten collar since Crumble is rather small. It's one similar to this with this type of clip: http://www.petco.com/product/110832/Coastal-Pet-Safe-Cat-Breakaway-Collar-in-Tan-Star-Print.aspx

I have found the above collar to be easier to tinker with to get it to release easily. I have found the ones below to be sturdier in terms of release which is great for outdoors but could potentially pose a risk indoors: http://www.dubaipetfood.com/images/safe collar and lead.JPG

I think the major things to remember is that bunnies love to hide under things and squeeze through so you want the collar to unfasten easily if ever it gets caught. If you mess with it a bit, you can get it to that point that if you tug it it will come off. Crumble rather enjoys taking his collar off... I am sure Houdina taught him that. I prefer having to chase him to put it back on but know that if he ever did catch his collar in something, it would come off. I am always around when he has it on anyway but it's an extra precaution. It's also pretty loose so he can slip out if need be. Obviously, this is only for indoors, I would have a totally different system for outdoors with a good harness and snug sweater. Lol.

My boyfriend has issues with his gait and it's dangeroud for both him and Crumble with Crumble dancing around our feet and surprising us from out of nowhere. Some people will blast me for putting a collar on Crumble as many think bunnies should never have one on but myself, in our situation, I feel it's more dangerous for him to be without. I'd rather we come to this agreement than have him caged up all day or risk injury to either him or anyone else. I have no problem with it, as long as you know the risks and take the steps to prevent it, for example: the collar getting caught in something and the rabbit panicking. It's important that the bun be able to get out of it easily. Oh and make sure the bun doesn't eat the bell too. Or else, put a bigger one on. Lol.

Nela wrote:
I use a kitten collar since Crumble is rather small. It's one similar to this with this type of clip: http://www.petco.com/product/110832/Coastal-Pet-Safe-Cat-Breakaway-Collar-in-Tan-Star-Print.aspx

I have found the above collar to be easier to tinker with to get it to release easily. I have found the ones below to be sturdier in terms of release which is great for outdoors but could potentially pose a risk indoors: http://www.dubaipetfood.com/images/safe%20collar%20and%20lead.JPG

Some people will blast me for putting a collar on Crumble as many think bunnies should never have one on but myself, in our situation, I feel it's more dangerous for him to be without. I'd rather we come to this agreement than have him caged up all day or risk injury to either him or anyone else. I have no problem with it, as long as you know the risks and take the steps to prevent it, for example: the collar getting caught in something and the rabbit panicking. It's important that the bun be able to get out of it easily. Oh and make sure the bun doesn't eat the bell too. Or else, put a bigger one on. Lol.
thanks! I'll give the first a try - my backyard is all pool and deck and ivy (no grass) so they have to play in the front yard if they go outside... no way would I let her out front except in a playpen/run.

as for anyone who might criticize you for putting a collar on your bunny... just ask them "would you rather have us stepping on the poor thing??" I mean, really, if it warns you when they might be about to run between your legs and they can get out of it if it gets caught on something then I see tons of benefit and no harm.

I just wish I'd read this before I placed another order at petco.com this morning, lol - now that I know it's a hit, I picked up a couple more hammocks while they're on sale (they'll each need one when they're separated for a bit shortly before they get spayed, plus I'm sure Nala will eventually chew through one of the support lines) and a few other things ><

My rabbit also jumps out from no where and tries to trip us up! Or as I'm washing dishes she'll run circles around my legs and jump over my feet. She also follows me around everywhere so if I stop too fast, she runs into the back of my legs. HAHA.

Scout had free range of the house and a bunny bedroom, but she usually stayed wherever I was. Once she got into the laundry room, the only room not bunny proofed, and knocked over a laundry hamper. Of course, she pulled out all the laundry and sorted it for me;)

When Scout was a baby, I had a kitten named Gracie. Scout was a little larger than Gracie at the time and Scout was definitely the boss. They formed a wonderful bond. I'm concerned about having Gracie with my new bunnies after reading about the dangers of cats and rabbits in another thread. But, thank goodness, there was never a problem with Gracie and Scout. And they had wonderful times together.

Gracie grew up to be a large Maine Coon cat and Scout liked to lie under her tummy while she was standing up:)

Scout loved the cherry tomatos that I kept out of her reach in a bowl on top of the refrigerator. One day I walked into the kitchen and found Gracie on top of the fridge knocking cherry tomatos down to Scout. Bunnies do have certain powers;) When they saw me, they were all "oops... how did that fall down?"

My favorite, though, was when I would walk into a room and find the two of them sleeping with their arms around each other. They'd lift their little heads and look at me, startled and guilty...as if I'd discovered their clandestine love affair:)

:sad:
(I'm missing my Scout today. Sniff.)

katherine at sacred stories wrote:
Scout loved the cherry tomatos that I kept out of her reach in a bowl on top of the refrigerator. One day I walked into the kitchen and found Gracie on top of the fridge knocking cherry tomatos down to Scout. Bunnies do have certain powers;) When they saw me, they were all "oops... how did that fall down?
ok, that's even cuter than one of my rabbits teaching the other one how to binky this morning... a bunny training a cat, pure awesome :D

so I picked up a $3 break-away kitten collar at walmart and tried it on Nala. she kept giving me this indignant look like "just because I have a mane doesn't mean that I'm a pussy-cat!" lol... but at the same time, I could tell she was secretly a little amused that she could make jingle noises by moving :p

Imbrium wrote:
so I picked up a $3 break-away kitten collar at walmart and tried it on Nala. she kept giving me this indignant look like "just because I have a mane doesn't mean that I'm a pussy-cat!" lol... but at the same time, I could tell she was secretly a little amused that she could make jingle noises by moving :p
That is soooo funny :)

Back