Has anyone ever used SlimFast to lose weight (and keep it off)?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TinysMom

Reaction score
Yes - I know the best way to lose weight and KEEP it off is to do it the old fashioned way.....watch what you eat - use smaller portions, etc.

I'm just curious what folks think of this....long story and I may explain more later.

The thing about those slimfast things is you have to be really good about not eating them and then going and eating something else.

They are actually high in calories because they are supposed to fill you up and keep you from eating other things. However, a lot of peoples problems with weight dont have to do with being hungry a lot, but eating when they arnt hungry or eating more than they need.

If thats the case and someone tried slimfast bars they might end up eating them, eating what they would normally eat, and then not losing weight.

I think it really depends on the person, but like you said portion control is always going to be what you have to do. Slimfast could help though depending on why too much food was being consumed.

Luluznewz wrote:
The thing about those slimfast things is you have to be really good about not eating them and then going and eating something else.

They are actually high in calories because they are supposed to fill you up and keep you from eating other things. However, a lot of peoples problems with weight dont have to do with being hungry a lot, but eating when they arnt hungry or eating more than they need.

If thats the case and someone tried slimfast bars they might end up eating them, eating what they would normally eat, and then not losing weight.

I think it really depends on the person, but like you said portion control is always going to be what you have to do. Slimfast could help though depending on why too much food was being consumed.
I've actually been on the website to read what they would recommend for a "meal plan" for someone my size.

I've lost weight before - usually in the 20-30 pound range - just by cutting back on the calories and watching what I ate. However - I always wound up putting it back on because once I lost the weight - I went back to my old way of eating. (I love pasta and can't believe how small a portion of pasta should be...same with meats...not a big fan of veggies).

My dad has convinced me that I need to lose weight though...not so much by nagging me or anything - but by sharing with me how he lost 45 pounds in 4 months time....and has been keeping it off. Of course - in his case he'd had a heart attack and needed surgery to replace his knee and he had to get weight off pretty quickly as he was going downhill. His doctor put him Ensure - pretty much just the Ensure - for around 1200 or 1400 calories per day.

Now that he's lost the weight - my dad says that his stomach has shrunk (he still has Ensure - but he has regular food and not as much Ensure as he had been having). He finds that he doesn't have the cravings for certain foods that he used to have and that he can't eat as much at meals - but he's content with what he can eat.

I've been looking at all sorts of different things to help me lose weight and considering what I've done in the past. I actually went out and tried Dad's Ensure (only I got the dark chocolate one ... yummy).

I think I could stick with the recommendations that Slim Fast makes for my size - and I think it might help me to retrain my body.

Still thinking on it - no commitment at this point in time.

My son is looking into Jenny Craig....he lives alone and he thinks that might work well for him - I was shocked to find out his weight...he's put on about 15 pounds in the last three months.....

I recently lost a lot of weight by cutting way down on fats in my diet and increasing fruits, vegs, and whole grains. I took a nutrition class over the summer where we were required to use MyPyramid.gov for our nutrition project. The website has a meal tracking tool that calculates calories as well as giving tips to improve diet and health.

Any type of weight loss program needs to focus on life changes in order for weight loss to be long term. I love to eat (as do most people), so I focused on increasing bulky, nutrient dense foods in my diet that were very low in fat. This way, I could still eat a lot, but loose weight. (I'm not into starving myself LOL)

I'm excited to be back down to a healthy weight after previously verging on obese.

Pam

Pam, if you don't mind sharing, what kinds of foods did you eat? We buy the store brand Slim Fast sometimes to take to work/school if we're in a hurry in the morning. I'll probably try the Ensure instead because there's a good coupon on the website (buy 2 8 packs, get 1 8 pack free) and Ensure is good for my pet rats. When I had rats before, I bought them Ensure and would drink what they didn't drink!

I'm trying to slim down too, for health reasons and because I'm getting married next summer. Peg, this thread gave me an idea. Would a reasonable day's food by a normal breakfast (usually yogurt and fruit, possibly a granola bar or hot cereal if I have time), a bottle of Ensure for lunch, and a dinner with lots of veggies? Fruits and veggies for snacks. No soda or juice. I LOVE carbs so I think cutting down on them will help.

I did slimfast for a very short time, but decided I wanted to loss the weight in a healthier way that would stick. I've followed WW and lost nearly 80 lbs.

The issue I have with SF is that (in my experience) it doesn't teach you to make the changes to your life that are needed to maintain the loss.

Breakfast: I eat oatmeal with skim milk, raisins, and a few nuts. Also a glass of tomato juice.

I buy lowfat/fat free items such as yogurt, cottage cheese, sliced ham, & cheese.

I check out menu items online before eating out so I can check calorie and fat content.

For lunch I generally eat a whole wheat bread sandwich w/ low fat cheese/ham. BLT's hold the bacon and mayo is something I commonly order when going out. At Red Lobster, I'll order shrimp cocktail w/ broccoli. Some restaurants (like Bob Evans) have some low fat options on the menu. Bob Evans has a low fat breakfast now available.

At buffets, I eat a ton of fruits/veggies.

No muffins, biscuits, donuts, pastries, pies or other high fat/low nutrient foods. If I really taste for a goodie, I'll take a tablespoon serving rather than an entire piece.

Pretzels are a good low fat snack.

Many recipes can be converted to low fat.

Limit most juices (too high in sugar calories). I drink some orange juice and tomato juice.

Picnics - stuff yourself on fresh fruits and veggies.

Beans are good sources of protein and use can use them as a replacement in many meat dishes.

MyPyramid.gov has a lot of good tips for lowering fat/sugar calories.

Watch serving sizes! Fill up on fruits/veggies and make other foods the smallest portion. A piece of whole wheat bread is healthy and a good source of fiber.

Most importantly - read labels. I don't consider the "lowfat yogurts" with 170 calories to be acceptable. Buy smaller containers and place close attention to serving sizes and calories as well as fat calories.

Pam

I started drinking slimfast at the recommendation of my shrink.
I used to have problems eating. There was a period in my life where I ....was not aloud to eat...shall we say...
Got to a point that I could not eat unless I really wanted something...my body adapted to not eating.
The Slimfast was her idea to get something into my body...
I found it helped get me back to eating...
Now years later when I am ok with eating,....I eat too much and have gained too much weight for want of something to do,...and because I quit smoking..
I find that places like BJ's has pretty good deals on a huge case of Slimfast...and I try when I can afford to...to get back on.
I found if I could deal with the start of it...getting used to dealing with still being hungry at the start, that my stomach would shrink and it would get easier over time.
My problem is I revert to what ever we can afford on whatever given day..that I am have a love for the Whopper...no onions, add cheese please :)

I also think they make the can heavier...as a mental...you are eating more/drinking more...then you really are...but that could be all in my mind :)

never really did the slim fast thing, but wanted to say that the ensures aren't all that bad (we serve them to the patients all the time) try the butter pecan (it is my favorite)

This has me thinking too, for anyone that has seen/meet me they know i'm overweight and i've been trying to loose it, but my feet don't allow me to much of hte time and i HATE swimming. I might try these, it sounds like such a plan, on top of *figuring* out how to get used to swimming for extra excercise.

Blaze_Amita wrote:
This has me thinking too, for anyone that has seen/meet me they know i'm overweight and i've been trying to loose it, but my feet don't allow me to much of hte time and i HATE swimming. I might try these, it sounds like such a plan, on top of *figuring* out how to get used to swimming for extra excercise.
Do you hate swimming or the water? I'm not a big fan of swimming but I go to aquacise and love it.

I started eating a bit more healthy, only whole grain/ high fiber,lots more bean/lentils, lean meats, and lots more veggies.I learned to convert my recipes to make them healthier, so I could still eat my favs. I also added aquacise 1-2x a week and I've lost 15 pounds so far!

I used to use Slim Fast as a quick breakfast. They were filling enough to keep me from getting higher fat/calorie packed breakfast-y things.

I didn't find them filling enough to replace a lunch, though. I'd be hungry not too long afterwards, and since it would no longer be "lunch time" I would reach for something fast, and usually high-calorie. I would be better off my making myself a healthy lunch that filled me up.

degrassi wrote:
Blaze_Amita wrote:
Do you hate swimming or the water? I'm not a big fan of swimming but I go to aquacise and love it.

I started eating a bit more healthy, only whole grain/ high fiber,lots more bean/lentils, lean meats, and lots more veggies.I learned to convert my recipes to make them healthier, so I could still eat my favs. I also added aquacise 1-2x a week and I've lost 15 pounds so far!
Well leave it at Water. I had a very bad experience in elementary school, 1st grade, they taught the students how to swim in that school. I was out with the flu fora week and when we came back, we were learning to 'dive' or jump into the deep end of the big pool, i wasn't ready so the teacher threw me in. been terrifed ever since. I can't touch the bottom don't even think about it. if i can touch i may or may not get in

I drink 2 of the Kellogg's Special K shakes sold right next to the slim fast..you get one less for the same price, but they make you feel more full for longer..

[align=center] [/align][align=center]Customer Alert:
[/align]
Unilever Conducts Nationwide Voluntary Recall of Slim-Fast® Ready-to-Drink Products in Cans Due to Possible Health Risk
Englewood Cliffs, NJ, December 3, 2009 – Unilever United States, Inc., in cooperation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), is conducting a nationwide voluntary recall of all Slim-Fast® ready-to-drink (RTD) products in cans, due to the possibility of contamination with Bacillus cereus, a micro-organism, which may cause diarrhea and possibly nausea and/or vomiting. The probability of serious adverse health consequences is remote.
The products were sold in stores nationwide.
Product Description:
The products are packaged in paperboard cartons and contain four, six or 12 steel cans that are 11 FL OZ (325 mL) each. Individual cans are also sold in certain retail outlets. The recall involves all Slim-Fast® RTD products in cans, regardless of flavor, Best-By date, lot code or UPC number. A listing of all RTD recalled products is attached to this press release.
No other Slim-Fast® products are affected by this recall. No Slim-Fast® powdered shakes, meal bars, or snack bars are affected by this recall.
The recall was initiated after the company conducted quality testing on Slim-Fast® RTD products in cans. Out of an abundance of caution, the company is recalling all RTD products in cans that are currently in distribution centers, on-shelf or in back rooms in retail outlets or in consumers’ homes. The company is in the process of identifying and correcting the production issue, and will resume production and shipment of the product when the issue has been addressed and corrected.
Consumers who have purchased Slim-Fast® RTD products in cans are urged to discard them immediately and contact the company at 1-800-896-9479 for a full refund. The Consumer Services Center is open Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 6:00 PM ET. A recorded message is available 24/7.

Wonderful. Right after I bought two cases of it. :grumpy:

I'm glad everyone here is being smart enough to take sensible alternatives.

There is no better way to lose weight than to eat healthily and to exercise.
These "Lemon De-Tox" and "Diet pills" are nothing more than poisons being pumped in to your body. There is no such thing as an easy way out of losing weight.

So please never try anything you see on t.v. or in shops that says it will help you lose weight. The best thing you can do is to go out and buy a blue plate. I can guarantee you that will help you lose weight.

(Also just to note, slimfast doesn't fall in to that category, I can't stand them but they're pretty good if you follow their guidelines.)

Jessyka wrote:
[align=center] [/align][align=center]Customer Alert:
[/align]
Unilever Conducts Nationwide Voluntary Recall of Slim-Fast® Ready-to-Drink Products in Cans Due to Possible Health Risk
Englewood Cliffs, NJ, December 3, 2009 – Unilever United States, Inc., in cooperation with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), is conducting a nationwide voluntary recall of all Slim-Fast® ready-to-drink (RTD) products in cans, due to the possibility of contamination with Bacillus cereus, a micro-organism, which may cause diarrhea and possibly nausea and/or vomiting. The probability of serious adverse health consequences is remote.
The products were sold in stores nationwide.
Product Description:
The products are packaged in paperboard cartons and contain four, six or 12 steel cans that are 11 FL OZ (325 mL) each. Individual cans are also sold in certain retail outlets. The recall involves all Slim-Fast® RTD products in cans, regardless of flavor, Best-By date, lot code or UPC number. A listing of all RTD recalled products is attached to this press release.
No other Slim-Fast® products are affected by this recall. No Slim-Fast® powdered shakes, meal bars, or snack bars are affected by this recall.
The recall was initiated after the company conducted quality testing on Slim-Fast® RTD products in cans. Out of an abundance of caution, the company is recalling all RTD products in cans that are currently in distribution centers, on-shelf or in back rooms in retail outlets or in consumers’ homes. The company is in the process of identifying and correcting the production issue, and will resume production and shipment of the product when the issue has been addressed and corrected.
Consumers who have purchased Slim-Fast® RTD products in cans are urged to discard them immediately and contact the company at 1-800-896-9479 for a full refund. The Consumer Services Center is open Monday – Friday, 8:30 AM – 6:00 PM ET. A recorded message is available 24/7.

Wonderful. Right after I bought two cases of it. :grumpy:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I was at Walmart last night and tried to buy some - but it wouldn't ring up and they said it must be a recall. Glad it didn't ring up.

I wound up deciding to use Slim Fast as "part" of a healthy diet....but to focus instead of eating GOOD food (aka healthy food) and keeping track of my calories, etc. I've been using SparkPeople.com to monitor everything I eat - how many calories - how much is fat, protein, carbohydrates, sodium, etc. etc.

I think I've had two slim fast drinks in the last 5 days - and that was because I saw I still had some calories left and I really wanted something sweet. I also keep their Double Dutch chocolate snack bars on hand for when that happens.

The good news is - that after yo-yo'ing for the last several years between 252 and 275....I've broken the 250 mark....I was down to 248.6 yesterday. I haven't been that low in over 10 years. I'm really really happy.

It is so interesting now to measure my portion and see just how many calories are in food. I'm learning to eat better and make better choices and I'm so proud of myself. Its amazing how tempting an apple now is...versus a candy bar....and how I am finding soda is too sweet and water tastes so much better.

I'm really proud of my son though - he went on Jenny Craig - and in 10 days he dropped 8 pounds (he was over 300 and can hardly wait to get below that). He's already had to put two new notches in his belt if I understand correctly and his pants are still trying to fall down...

Anyway - thought I'd update everyone on what I decided to do. I really love sparkpeople.com and a friend says y'all will never see me here cause they give me points for logging in there and blogging there and stuff like that...but that's not true. I'm still here!

I do recommend a free membership to sparkpeople.com for anyone who wants to lose weight the old fashioned way. PM me here and I'll give you my ID for there if you join.

Back