Harvey escaped from his cage last night!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellissian

Reaction score
My partner came home at 6am this morning and woke meto sayHarvey was gone!:shock: I got straight up to find his cage empty and that he had kicked the hinges off his door and escaped!!!:cry2

We live on a busy duel carriage way so my partner checked the road first, while I checked the back street etc. The back area of our home is set out strange, we have a back yard then a private road for residents to park their vehicles then our gardens are after the road....... Harveys cage is in the back yard. We both searched for as long as we could as I didn't want to tell the kids before school and have them upset all day......I was planning on telling them when school was over.

After I dropped the kids off I asked at the local garden centre if they had seen him....which they hadn't. I then started asking neighbours....and all the time the myxi threat is playing over and over in my mind. :( A person who lives further down my street said they had seen him.....they tried to catch him but couldn't, at least I knew he was still alive. :)

Anyway I caught sight of him an hour ago, he gave me the run around running from car to car!:grumpy: I eventually caught him......and I know how lucky I am to have him back safe and sound!:biggrin2:

He is completely worn out bless him and he is all warm a its really hot here today. All he wants to do is sleep.

My main concern now is has he caught myxi:(......does anyone know how long it takes for symptoms to appear?

Wow, that must have been scary!:shock:I'm so glad you got Harvey back safe and sound.

Sorry I don't know how long it takes for myxi symptoms to show, but I'd keep a very close eye on him, and keep him quarantined from Hope -just in case.:? Hopefully he will be just fine.:)

oh poor you, it's so stressfull trying to catch errant animals isn't it! Our old cat was a house cat as we live on a main road and when our boys were born it was her lifes ambition to escape!

Hope he will be fine, thinking of you,

sarah x

:sickbunny:

Thanks everyone :) I'm just so happy I got him back in one piece....he seems ok once he recovered from his little outing! He is acting all happy and relaxed :)

Today I have noticed a small white cloudy patch on one of his eyes.....any ideas what this could be?

I'm a great believer that everything happens for a reason so maybe he was meant to escape in order for him to become a house rabbit......as he is never living out doors again!!

It's ok Crystal, thanks for your help. :) I will try and get a good pic of his eye...which may take a while as Harvey isn't a bun for sitting still! :)

That has got to be scary.

I know one night I was feeding my rabbits and noticed one Neatherland Dwarf had squeezed out of his cage somehow and was gone, of course I freaked out. I got a flashlight and began to look all around, with no luck. I left his cage open while I went looking, I even put in some carrots in hopes it would make him come back. I let my dog come out to find him - he is great at catching rabbits he lays his head on them and will hold them until you get them but never with teeth. Anyway he found him but he was way too fast and it was getting darker. I finally decided to give up and just leave his cage low down and open. When I went over to check it, to my surprise he was back in his cage eating away at the carrots. It was scary but so funny.

Oh my! Not Harvey! I was not on the forum for a few days, so I missed this when you first posted. I am SO GLAD that you found him and that he's convinced you that he needs to be a house bunny. :biggrin2:

I'll be looking for you to post a photo of the eye. Eye pics can be hard to get because of the flash.

Gingivere has what appear to be cataracts on both eyes. We've had her to a veterinary opthamologist, and his diagnosis is that she's got a congenital issue. He called them corneal calcifications which are much more common in cats and dogs, but not impossible in rabbits (he conferred with a bunny expert and our bunny-savvy vet on this). He believes that they are really not a problem, though they probably obstruct her vision somewhat. I am to watch them closely, and if her eyes become significantly irritated or watery we will consider having them shaved from her corneas.

I don't know if Harvey is experiencing something similar, but I'd love to compare eye photos of our two bunnies. I'll see if I can get the "Queen" to sit still for a close up!

-Mary Ellen

ellissian wrote:
Thanks everyone :) I'm just so happy I got him back in one piece....he seems ok once he recovered from his little outing! He is acting all happy and relaxed :)

Today I have noticed a small white cloudy patch on one of his eyes.....any ideas what this could be?

I'm a great believer that everything happens for a reason so maybe he was meant to escape in order for him to become a house rabbit......as he is never living out doors again!!
This might sound crazy but Bo gets things like little pieces of hay in his eyes. If they aren't removed they sometimes get goopy stuff on them. Then it just looks funny. Have you tried to wipe it off?

Latest posts

Back