Harnesses

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[r o s i e]

Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you use harnesses on your bunnies. I want to get one for Rosie so we can go outside. What's a good kind that can't choke them or anything? Thanks!

My bunnies go on the harness - i got mine from pets at home - i dont think any harness can choke a bunny - when you put it on you should be able to fit one of your fingers - so you know its not too tight!

I am sure members in your area will be able to tell you where to get one from and what the best price is!

i use harnesses.

you can use harnesses that you find in the rabbit isle of the pet store, for like four or five bucks. i think them a little flimsy though, so i got cat harnesses.

Yeah i brought the first one on a market and it was rubbish so i brought a proper one from Pets at home!

Becca
action-smiley-057.gif

I tried a harness once for my calmer bunny. It was one of those vest type ones that velcros together. As soon as we got it on him he started jumping and slamming his head into the wall to get out of it. That was the first and last time I did that.

A harness may work for yours, but if it doesn't and you still want to take Rosie outside here is what I use:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8457890

It's a portable play yard meant for toddlers and you'll need a back yard or some kind of public area to set it up in. It works great though, and is very durable and transports easily :)

To be honest I think it depends completely on the rabbit. Some will be fine onharnesses however others can become very distressed and really hurt themselves. The thing with having rabbits on harnesses is that (unlike dogs) they don't follow your lead. Instead you have to follow them round and this can frighten some rabbits who misinterpret this as aggression (remember they are prey animals). Also some rabbits really just cannot tolerate the feel of the harness and can panic with one on.

I'd say if you have a rabbit that will willingly stay with you anyway and has a very calm personality then a harness may work, otherwise I personally wouldn't use one. Also if you do decide to use a harness I'd try it on your rabbit first without the lead in a safe, enclosed area to see how they react to the feel of the harness. Then try them in a safe area with the lead on before venturing outside!

However, for trips outside I'd highly recommend a safe, enclosed run as opposed to a harness. In my experience rabbits enjoybeing in a runmuch more andare much safer in a run than on a harness.:)

Bunnys_rule63 wrote:
To be honest I think it depends completely on the rabbit. Some will be fine onharnesses however others can become very distressed and really hurt themselves. The thing with having rabbits on harnesses is that (unlike dogs) they don't follow your lead. Instead you have to follow them round and this can frighten some rabbits who misinterpret this as aggression (remember they are prey animals). Also some rabbits really just cannot tolerate the feel of the harness and can panic with one on.

I'd say if you have a rabbit that will willingly stay with you anyway and has a very calm personality then a harness may work, otherwise I personally wouldn't use one. Also if you do decide to use a harness I'd try it on your rabbit first without the lead in a safe, enclosed area to see how they react to the feel of the harness. Then try them in a safe area with the lead on before venturing outside!

However, for trips outside I'd highly recommend a safe, enclosed run as opposed to a harness. In my experience rabbits enjoybeing in a runmuch more andare much safer in a run than on a harness.:)

I definitely agree. A great many rabbits are highly skittish with anything like harnesses, and even just attempting to put one on can not only be a nightmare, but it could potentially cause serious injury (rabbit leaping to get away, breaking a limb, etc.). However, there are some rabbits who will adjust to harnesses quite well. With my two, Yofi doesn't really care to have a harness put on, but once it's on he's fine...and it doesn't bother him at all. Anna, on the other hand, cannot stand it. While I can put one on her, I've opted not to as I can see in her eyes that she's not at all comfortable and could frighten easily. And there's no point in subjecting her to that. Most bunnies, I think, are better off in an enclosed, supervised area where they can have fun tumbling about. :)

I agrees well - I don't put Dippy on it because he gets to scared and runs really fast and i have to run fast with the lead behind him and that makes him more scared and that makes him run faster and so it carries on eventually i have to grab him and comfort him.

But Fluffball likes it!

Becca
action-smiley-057.gif

It definitely depends on the rabbit. William liked the harness. Archie likes it and Lottie HATES it. She won't let me put it on. I try to hook it round her neck and she picks it up in her mouth and neatly 'removes' it.

Test it out, sometimes once you put the rabbit on the floor, they forget about the weird feeling thing around them and get so interested in exploring.

Fran :) :hearts :brownbunny

That is what I have and it works great. The bunnies love hopping freely around in it. Although it doesn't have a top so you have to supervise them at all times.
Little Bay Poo wrote:
I tried a harness once for my calmer bunny. It was one of those vest type ones that velcros together. As soon as we got it on him he started jumping and slamming his head into the wall to get out of it. That was the first and last time I did that.

A harness may work for yours, but if it doesn't and you still want to take Rosie outside here is what I use:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8457890

It's a portable play yard meant for toddlers and you'll need a back yard or some kind of public area to set it up in. It works great though, and is very durable and transports easily :)

I read all of your posts and I put a harness on Rosie today-she didn't mind it at all! I'm not going to put the leash on till she get's really used to the harness. Thanks for all of your help!

Back