Harness

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snickers

Reaction score
I got a harness and leash for my lil guy but he completely flips out if I put it on him. Any suggestions????

You can try placing it on the floor whenhe is out for his play time, that way he will know that it isntthreatening to him, then after he is used to looking at it you can tryputting it back on him, but only for a short time.

~Amy

The key to haness training is tons oftreats and tons of patience. Try and findthe healthiest thingyour rabbit loves the most. Like Apollo it's dandelions and romainelettuce. Put the harness on and the second it's on treat him instantlyand do it twice for good measure.

Distraction is the name of the game. Take him somewhere herethere is something to concentrate o other than the harness. I tookApollo on the porch the first few times. He got to exploring and wouldforget about the harness. If he starts chewing a sharp no. Move him abit.

Try and remember to catch him being good. If he isn't chewingon the harness for a minute teat him. Soon enough he will findthat being good is a lot more yummy than chewing that nastyharness.

Put him in it every day. Even if it's just for five minutes. Hewill soon learn that the harness is a part of life much like nailclippings and head to tail exams.

Good Luck and I hope this helps.

Tina

We got our to older mini lops harnesses over theweekend. They are botha bit over a yrold. I wont take the female out yet because of her kit, butmy male didnt mind the harness to much but it was his way or noway. We walked all over the yard but had a heck of a timegetting him away from my flower beds. I didnt think of thetreats, I will try that. It worked in training my dog on thelease. Thanks for the ideas.

Hmmm, thanks for the tips, Tina. We've beenwanting to train our rabbits on harnesses, but the last time I triedputting one on Chompers he freaked out.

You're very welcome. If I can be anymorehelp please don't hesitate to ask. I love taking Apollo everywhere andwill do all I can to help someone that wants to do the samething.

Tina

My 2 have taken to it fairly well...just not100% sure about the around the neck part..(I have the kind that kindalooks like the lil t-shirt)...but when you don't have much of aneck...I wasn't suprised! It only took a couple times andthey associated it with going outside and don't make such a big deal ofit now... They are even starting to respond to a slighttugand going the other way...trying to get them used to thisin case we ever got in a situation where I needed them to doso. The neighbors just love it when we are out with them!Good luck!

Latest posts

Back