Harness?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustiechick

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
Dustie has been with us for aa month and has adjusted nicely so we decided to take her outside on the harness. However she did not like that at all! She looked like aferret crawling around close to the ground, and was terrified. So we brought her back inside, we practiced walking around the house with the harness but she was acting like she was so constricted of movement. Even though we put it as loose as we could and you could fit your whole hand between the leash and her body? Any ideas to help her feel a little more relaxed with it on?

Thanks!

My oldest Bella did that with the first harness we bought her, and putting it on was more then she could bare :pWe tried one of those nylon rope like harnesses though and she along with my havana doe love it and move/act much better with it. Have you tried the nylon/rope kind?

Might just take some getting used to....my rabbits acted like they couldn't move when I first took them out in their harnesses but now they hop around like there's nothing there.

What kind of harness are you using? Some kinds, like vest ones, can feel too bulky on the rabbit so they won't want to move. There are other kinds that don't inhibit movement.
I prefer an H style harness. It isn't too big and bulky while still being safe and easy to use. My rabbits don't really even notice their harness.
Avoid ones that can adjust while on the rabbit. These can tighten while on the rabbit and choke them. Thin ones can also choke a rabbit, so a thicker material is better, just not too thick. Buckles are easier than Velcro to get the right size.

It might take some time for her to get used to the harness. Try putting it in her cage/pen and let her get used to it being there. Then lay it on her back. Work up to actually putting it one. Once she is used to wearing the harness, introduce the leash. A light leash is good so they don't feel weighed down by it. A light but strong string with a small clip will work or a small cat leash.

Hmm, sorry to hear your troubles. It could be the type, as mentioned the ones sold all colorful in pet stores for rabbits are meshy? The bunny might feel too wierd in it, comparable to wearing 3 or 4 winter coats (what? Bunnies exaggerate!) I just bought adjustable cat harnesses at the grocery store. I used to carry bunnies outside pre-harness and I guess they liked the smells and I began carrying them outside with the harness then bring them inside. Eventually I brought them outside in harness and put them in the grass, I guess they're used to it now. Neither really likes to know Im pulling them and in control of their excess leash and if they feel any snag they freak out. I cannot have the harnesses on at all inside or they contort themselves to chew it. They consist of a loop for the head and one for the body both with clasps.
Good luck!!

Hey all!
We have a nylon rop ttype H styled small harness made exactly for dwarf rabbits. It had a bell on it but we took it off because we thought the noise was stressing her but it didnt make a difference. It was quite a hassle trying to get it on and sometimes when we put it on, she just kicks her way out of it. Would it work if whenever I put it on and she cooperated then i could give her a treat?

My buns do like to try and chew their way out of their harnesses but when they're outside they generally get so interested in exploring they tend not to care about the harnesses

I was wondering how dangerous the harnesses are? I had one and he didn't mind it much but I've seen him binky and run around in his xpen and don,t think I could contain him if he binkied around - he's too fast and I was scared that he'd choke himself

Latest posts

Back