harness training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welonheadmoo

Reaction score
Well. I have a rabbit that lets me dress him up in ridiculous clothing like a santa suit, but he freaks out when I put the harness on.

He growls and bites at the thing - treats don't work, I can get him calm enough to slip the thing on, but after a while he freaks out again. No previous bad experiences - before I bought thing couple weeks ago, and it was hate at first sight. I understand - well, not really considering the santa costume was much more confining and he was A-ok, and I'm pulling my hair out. Why Why Why?

I am meaning to get him entered in a pet therapy program, and possibly rabbit agility --- and leash training, at least from what I've read, if not neccessary, would be a really good idea.

Sigh. Cinnamon's perfect every other way, or will be once I switch to a cheaper vet that accepts neuter discounts (psst, nj rabbit ppl, rabbit society offers coupons at $68 for neuter and $80ish for spay). He just needs to keep the darn thing on. Will try tomorrow outside, but doubt it'll help.

What am I doing wrong? Btw, one of those mesh harnesses you find at Petco.

**** You know what would be really cool but way out there? If someone knows a rabbit savvy shelter/rescue that would be able to let me pop in and learn a thing or two. :biggrin2: Who knows.

Fluffygot really bothered/agressivewhen I simply tried to puta harness on her. I did manage it, (just!) but it's presence seemed to worry her and naturally, she wanted to go her own bunny way. Since then, the harness has remained unused.

Jo x

Corky does great w/ his "shirt" (thats what we call it)...I really had no problem training him, and the ones we are using for agility have been pretty easy as well.

Are you fastening it very tight, as in so he couldn't wiggle out easily? If so, maybe that's freaking him out, try maybe going a lil looser, no leash attached and just let him hop around like that, see if that maybe helps.

Only thing I can think of...g/l, from what others are saying here, I must be lucky mine do well!

Hmm... what can I tell you about harness training. Some of my rabbits do great, others do not. A lot of my older rabbits that have not been handled much and have never worn a harness have problems with it, but I have few of those. Most of my buns adjust well to the harness, even the older ones that were not used to it.

I can tell you that I don't use the mesh harnesses - the rabbits can easily get out of them and I find they irritate them more. I use cat harnesses, in different sizes for different buns, and have used them for everybun from a Dwarf to a Flemish Giant. get one that fits well, and the bun is comfortable with, and you shouldn't have the problem of the bun getting out of it. Mine don't, even the ones that get nervous when wearing it and fuss about it. Most of my buns are not harness trained but they wear one when we go on trips or are away from home mosty, so even though they don't wear them often, they are not bothered by this kind of harness.

Take him slow, reward him for good behaviour, andlet him know this is a good thing. and like I already said - reward, reward, reward, and praise.

I'll start at the beginning, then.

First of all, regarding the santa costume versus harness debate, there may not be any reason. Perhaps the santa costume feels softer, more like a blanket. Maybe the harness smells odd, or you approached him the wrong way with it. Think about it, some people are scared of small spaces, but they're not afraid of clothes, which and confining you. Some people are afraid of needles, but don't wince when they cut their leg. Fears don't have to make sense.

The attitude you need to take when harness training shouldn't be "You need to accept the harness, now". The attitude you need to take is "I'd like you to put this on for me, but you can take as much time as you need, and I won't force you". As quoting an old horse saying I have heard, which also applies to this situation, "If you act as if you have three minutes, it will take three hours. But if you come and allow your horse three hours, it will take three minutes". Force should never be applied in training.

To start off, simply place your rabbit's harness in the room while he's running around. Maybe put it next to his food bowl, so that he has to go past it. Let him sniff it, and praise him when he walks calmly next to it. Then you come in, and pick it up. Slowly, slowly move the harness towards your rabbit, from the side, starting at the shoulder. Do not restrain your rabbit in any way, and watch him closely. As soon as you see any tiny sign of stress, put the harness behind your back and praise him. Gradually, you can extend it to touching him, then rub it along his back. After he's used to it's feel on him, you can lie it on his back unbuckled, and get him to hop forward a few steps. Then you can buckle it up loosely, and gradually increase the tightness. Then introduce the leash.

Do not ask me how long this could take. It could take a day, it could take a week, it could take a month, or it could even take a year. Rushing your rabbit will simply set him back, and always look for any signs of stress, and do not progress until your rabbit is 100% ready. This is the only way to perfectly destabilise the rabbit to the harness, but understand that your rabbit may never accept the harness. Some do, some don't.

I would also suggest using a figure H strap harness, rather than a vest type. A cat harness is usually of this type, but no bells, as is will merely scare the rabbit more.

Good luck!
Rachel.

He's gotten better. Still some fussing, but he's getting there. Thanks, guys. Actually, the first harness he chewed up was the cat one, but it did seem to fit better. I'll probably see if I can pick one up again sometime.

Latest posts

Back