Harness and Leash training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovebunnyok

Reaction score
Hey all!

I am trying to get Mr. Tupper used to the harness, and later the leash, for our big trip in a couple of weeks. Today was day 1, and I put the harness on. He didn't like it at all! Jumped around a little bit, and then started grooming himself, like that would make it magically fall off!

So after a little bit, he settled down, and ate and napped for a bit. I left it on for 2 hours, then took it off. I am thinking about doing this as a routine till our trip, and in a week or so, attach the leash and monitor him with it on. Then, depending on how good he does, we may try a few short outings.

Does this sound like a good plan? I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks! (Now I am off to find him because I think he is in the bedroom destroying things in retaliation!)

That sounds like a good idea!

You did the right thing in leaving the harness on at the start for a while, without the leash. Grooming with it on, is natural! I think buns think you messes their fur and they get a bit annoyed.

Try attaching the leash and following him around for a bit. As you know, rabbits are very fragile so do not pull your rabbit like some do to a dog!

I wouldnt recommend leaving it on for TOO long. Make sure it is tight , but not real tight. You need to be able to stick 2 fingers through comfortably!

Enjoy your trip!

Thank you Nichole!

Yeah, I made sure it was loose enough so he can breathe, and I can fit a couple of fingers in it.

It's good to know I am on the right track! Thanks! :D

It sounds like you are on the right track, but I would watch him VERY closely for those two hours that he had the harness on. That can be very dangerous if he gets caught up on something and you're not there. ;)

Another thing you could have done before buckling up the harness, was just to lay it on him, and see how he reacted to the weight of the harness. What type of harness are you using? An H-Harness?It's important to make sure it's not too tight, or too loose. Preferrably you can fit two to three fingers around the back AND front of the neck, as well as 2 fingers around the back AND belly area of the harness. ;)

When you clip the leash on, let him wander around for a few minutes without you holding it. Then you can hold onto it and let him walk around. This will get him used to the idea of there being something holding onto him. ;)

Where exactly do you plan on going for your "outing"? I wouldn't take him outside near dogs or anything that might scare him, because since he'll be new to the harness he could freak out and really hurt himself. ;) Keep him in your own backyard if you are able to. ;)

Emily

Hi Emily

Yes, it is an H harness, and I was supervising him while he had it on. I believe it is loose enough, and he had no problem running around in it.

The outing would be just in front of our apartment. There are not any animals in the area, so that is not a problem. I am going to make the outings short, only 5 minutes or so, and that will be later on next week before I even try it.

I am not doing this as something he "has" to do, just as something we want to try, and if he gets used to it, that's great! If not, then that is fine too!

Thanks for the suggestions and comments. You guys are great for helping!

Latest posts

Back