Harley is depressed...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandieLee

Reaction score
Harley has been having a hard time since Bailey passed last month. My normally hyper active, all over the place, in your face bun is doing nothing but sitting in the corner of his cage. He's eating fine and in good health, but he doesn't want to come out of his cage, he doesn't want me to pet him and generally just seems unhappy. I know he misses Bailey. I'm hoping to bond him with Marley, but Marley needs to be neutered first. In the meantime, what can I do for Harley if he doesn't want my attention at all?

Hm that's a tough one, so sorry for your loss! I guess maybe try and keep encouraging Harley to come out of his cage, and maybe get him so new toys so he can try and have some fun. Maybe switch up the treats to keep him interested in things. I would definately consider bonding him with Marley but you are right he does need to be neutered. Good luck! Try and bond him with Marley asap! :pray:

If you haven't already, you can try putting their cages next to each other. Just having the company of another rabbit nearby may be enough to perk him up some.

Thank you both!
I've actually put their cages next to each other, and it seems to be doing something for Harley. He now sits and stares at Marley all day- so that's something, right?
I'm trying new toys as well, and he's not interested as of now. I'm hoping that if I can bond them, he'll be okay. Unfortunately, Marley's neuter is scheduled for September...

Now along with Harley and Marley, I'm adding my Barley to the mix! 8)) When my daughter moved out and took her chinchilla with her, Barley seemed sad and depressed for about a month. They didn't play together or anything, but their cages were positioned so that they could see each other and know they weren't all alone. It took Barley a good month until he snapped out of it and was his old self again. I pretty much just did what PipkinbunRibb did, paid him as much attention as possible, whether he wanted it or not, offered plenty of treats, left the tv on for him (he loves the Home and Garden channel). If Harley is currently staring at Marley, I'd guess there's interest there and by the time Marley is neutered and ready, this problem will be solved.

Back