Handling

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwhoosh

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I know some rabbits don't like being picked up, but is there anyway I can train Rilee to be handled? Ever since she was spayed a year ago, she darts as soon as I put two hands on her. I wish I could hold her and cuddle her, instead of cuddling on the ground, but mostly I'm concerned about when I would need to handle her. Like clipping her nails, cleaning her scent glands, checking her teeth, or moving her. Other than petting, she won't let me touch her at all, and frankly it's rather depressing to me that I love her, but she rejects me.

Is there anything I can do?? She runs at the first sign of my picking her up, I can't even pick her up with a towel to burrito her. Mostly, I wish I could just pick her up if I need too, and for her not to shread and hate me for it! :(

-Amanda

Will she let you play with her on the floor? Will she sit on your lap (if you're on the floor)? Will she climb on you? If she climbs up on you, try holding her snuggly and stand up. Don't let her feet hang...

Most rabbits don't like it when their feet just hang and aren't touching anything solid. What happens if you pick her up very quickly and put her feet on your chest, so she's "standing" on you?

Have you ever seen the "football carry"? Most show people carry their rabbits (especially the large ones) like a football, with the bunnies head under the arm and the rest of the body cradled against the body. It's a good way to carry a rabbit so it doesn't panic. It can't see anything (cause your arm is over their eyes) and if they jump, it's into your armpit! You have control over the bunny so she can't hurt herself.

I think she has you trained to put her down everytime she kicks. LOL! She is communicating very well, telling you exactly what she wants. She has to learn that you need to be in control, for all the reasons you already stated.

I'd work with her slowly, pick her up, hold for a few seconds and put her down. Walk away. Do it again later. You have to be persistant and consistant. If she protests, hold her gently in one spot for a second or two, and try again. Don't be rough or raise your voice. Be gentle and talk softly. Give her a treat when she behaves. Make it a pleasant experience.

One thing I've found helps A LOT to keep Fiver from panicking (or Trixie, for that matter) is to put my hand over his head, cupped so it covers his eyes. It helps them calm down...and keeps them from continuing to run away, especially if you take your other hand, and put it on their chest, in front of their front legs.

Another thought...be the Head Bun...the Big Kahuna! The more you are assured that you CAN do this, the more confidence you have, the more chance you'll have at doing it. They can feel if you're nervous, and will (depending on the bun's personality) either take advantage of that to know they won't be picked up if they put up a fight, or they'll be nervous, too, and you won't be able to pick up a scared bun. DON'T WORRY ABOUT HURTING THEM...they'll be fine! :)

Here's an idea you can try...let her out with a towel in front of her cage door on the floor, and when she steps onto the towel, take the sides of the towel and putting them over her body (kinda burrito-ish, almost like you're folding the towel to hang it up) making sure her face and eyes are covered. Then try putting your hand underneath her front (like when you hold your arm out in front of you...fingers in front...put your thumb under one of her armpits, index finger in front of her chest, and other three fingers under her other armpit). Then, as you lift her, slide your hand under her bum, supporting her bum and back legs. Do it quick, so she doesn't have a chance to struggle or get away...and hug her to your body, using one of your arms to cross over her body to kinda hug her...and she'll calm down.

Here's a picture of me holding Trixie and one of me holding Fiver. Notice how I have my arms. It's the best way I've found to keep them calm.

Trixie:
100_1274.jpg

Fiver:
100_1275.jpg

Will she let you play with her on the floor?

If by play you mean pet, then yes. If she's laying around resting, she doesn't mind me petting and stroking her a getting close to her. If she's not resting, she's just to busy and only comes over if I stand up (she has a love affair with my feet and pant legs). But if my hand slips anywhere close to under her, she's off like a rocket.

Will she sit on your lap (if you're on the floor)?

If she does, she was just curious and gets off in 2 seconds, it hardly ever happens. I've tried putting her on my lap, but the act of picking her up, she doesn't stay, she leaves before her paws touch me.

Will she climb on you?

Not often. Mostly only to use me as a launching pad or step stool.

What happens if you pick her up very quickly and put her feet on your chest, so she's "standing" on you?

I can't often even get to here, but once in a while. She sits there for 2 seconds, then tries to jump and climb up my face. She did this as a baby too, making it up to my shoulder before I could pull her down. The whole thing lasts 5 seconds before I put her down.

One thing I've found helps A LOT to keep Fiver from panicking (or Trixie, for that matter) is to put my hand over his head, cupped so it covers his eyes.

I've tried this, and it seems to make her more scared....maybe because she can't see what's going on? Oh geez I got the weird one.

Here's an idea you can try...let her out with a towel in front of her cage door on the floor, and when she steps onto the towel, take the sides of the towel and putting them over her body (kinda burrito-ish, almost like you're folding the towel to hang it up) making sure her face and eyes are covered.

She is FAST. She's comes out her cage running. I've kind of tried something like that before, and before I could close in she's halfway out and yeah... that didn't work.

She's scared to be picked up, and she's fast about running away, I think is the biggest problem. If I could catch her, I could work on the actual holding bit....but...

I guess there's nothing you guys can really help me with about that. Thanks for the tips though.

I have another idea for you...

Can you try putting the towel in a carrier (or try without a towel), get her to go into a carrier, then open the top of the carrier, and pick her up from there? That's how I got Fiver picked up the first time. :)

I appreciate that she is fast, but you have to be in control, so you have to be faster. Don't give up. You are being bossed around by a little bunny! LOL! Bribe her, give her treats, she has to come to your hand to get it... she has to let you pet her. Work with her slowly and take little steps.
What are you going to do when her nails need to be clipped or she needs to be cleaned? What will you do if she needs to go to the vet?

I have another idea for you... Can you try putting the towel in a carrier (or try without a towel), get her to go into a carrier, then open the top of the carrier, and pick her up from there? That's how I got Fiver picked up the first time. :)

Oh yes this is a good idea, I've thought about it too. That's how the vet did it once when she needed an x-ray. But I left her carrier with the top door at my parents' house *hits head* Maybe we can do it over the winter break.

I appreciate that she is fast, but you have to be in control, so you have to be faster. Don't give up. You are being bossed around by a little bunny! LOL! Bribe her, give her treats, she has to come to your hand to get it... she has to let you pet her. Work with her slowly and take little steps. What are you going to do when her nails need to be clipped or she needs to be cleaned? What will you do if she needs to go to the vet?

Ahh! I know!! I'm afriad too, that she'll get so mad at me that she'll stop approaching me all together, you know? I'm scared she'll loose her trust in me. *is a sucker*

Thanks for trying to help me guys, I really appreciate it!

I picked her up today!! I held on to her for a lot longer than usual too :) Although the slightest movement made her struggle, so we're still far from useful handling. And I've been trying for 2 days to actually pick her up too. I held her "standing" on my chest, and when I tried to shift her into my elbow, I think she thought I was putting her down, and I did end up having to then because I couldn't hold on without someone getting hurt.

I think it was a good session!!

Are you able to trance her at all? Snuff lightly trances if we just pet him around his face. Snuff doesn't allow me to get him when he is out for playtime, if I get close he runs from me. So the other night, I slowly got down to the floor where he was, he didn't run off, I lightly petted his face, stopped (he stayed in the light trance) and SCOOP:D! It worked for me. Maybe you could try that?

gwhoosh wrote:
I picked her up today!! I held on to her for a lot longer than usual too :) Although the slightest movement made her struggle, so we're still far from useful handling. And I've been trying for 2 days to actually pick her up too. I held her "standing" on my chest, and when I tried to shift her into my elbow, I think she thought I was putting her down, and I did end up having to then because I couldn't hold on without someone getting hurt.

I think it was a good session!!

EXCELLENT! Good for you and her! Have patience. She has to get used to the idea that you are the alpha bunny and you're going to hold her if you want.... Keep it short, that's fine. And don't rush the "change positions". Give her time. You're doing a great job.

Are you giving her treats? I always give small treats while I am holding the rabbit, and then when I set them down again. It's still really hard for me to pick Mocha up, I have to do a fast scoop-and-tuck, but once she's up she settles down and waits for her treat. Sometimes to pick her up I have to place my hand on her ears and neck like the Big Kahuna thing and then pick her up. But that makes her more upset. And then when I set her down, instead of running away and flicking me off she runs around me feet thumping until she gets her treat.

I try to pick each bunny up at least once a week whether they need it or not, just so they stay used to it.

And you're not alone. All three of my dwarf girls get more scared if you cover their head with your hand. James knew that trick from showing in 4H, but apparently it doesn't work on uppity dwarf divas!

Edit: I felt like sharing my misery. I volunteer at the shelter, and do you know how hard it is to get a mini lop's big butt through a pet store cage door? Especially when they're not spayed (mmm, cage agression...), not used to being picked up, and grumpy! Gah!

Are you able to trance her at all?

No, I've never been able to do that to her, not even as a baby. I thought it was just me, but when she went to the vet, the doctor went to trance her, to examine her, and she couldn't do it either!

Are you giving her treats?

Yes, I give her a craisin (THE all-time fav. treat for her) when I put her down. I haven't tried in forever, but I used to try and give her one while I was holding her, but then she's too scared to eat. Just like when we're travelling and I offer her a treat, she won't eat it. And I can imagine how hard it is with that lop, I would have had a huge problem had Rilee not always been able to go in and out of her cage on her own!

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone :) I hate putting her through this "punishment", but I'm glad I am too.

Instead of trying everything in one go, break it down into steps and get her used use to each one. As you probably know you pick a bunny up with a hand under the chest and the other supporting the bum. The only time you tend to put your hands in that position is when you're picking a rabbit up, so as soon as you do that (or move to do that) she knows what is coming and panics (runs away). Even if you manage to pick her up successfully she's still had that panic first = bad experience.

So forget the lifting off the floor stage - thats advanced level :) First you need to teach her that a hand under her chest and on her bum does not mean bad things are about to happen.

Sit on the floor with her and feed her treats. You're going to me doing a lot of this so you may want to handfeed her normal food rather than additional treats so she doesn't get tubby ;) Infact dinner time is a great time to practice because they're usually distracted anyway. With a treats in one hand stroke her shoulders with the other. Gradually stroke down her sides and slip you hand under her chest. Do not lift her! Just cup her chest like you would to lift her put don't put any preasure on. If she backs away let her. She'll come back in her own time for more treats and you can repeat.

Once she's totally comfortable with this, and ignore it next put enough "lift" so you're lifting her chest but not enough to pick her feet off the floor. She'll probably back away - again let her but when she comes back for treats repeat.

Eventually you'll be able to lift her so she's in a sitting position resting with her chest on your hand.

Once you're there, you can then repeat the same gradually process but with the hand on the bum.

Once you can pretend you're about to pick her up without her running away in a panic then lift half an inch and put her down. Again repeat, until you can pick her up and lift her higher or move her slightly (towards food is good).

She's probably never going to like being held and cuddled but hopefully you'll be able to lift her short distances and pick her up when you need to :)

I'd recommend using a carrier if you need to move her whilst your practicing so that she doesn't have a bad experience whilst you're trying to teach good associations.

It takes awile but it does work :)

Tamsin

tamsin, that's really excellent advice! I'm going to try very hard to do that, I hope I have the patience.

i am having this problem as well with my girl shadow. BUT she doesn't even let me pet her while she is on the ground. she runs whenever she sees my hand comming toward her. treats don't bribe her as she takes them then runs.

Amanda - you're welcome :) I found that after about two weeks of doing that each time I fed them, my doe made a big improvement. I think foods quite abig motivator ;)

i am having this problem as well with my girl shadow. BUT she doesn't even let me pet her while she is on the ground. she runs whenever she sees my hand comming toward her. treats don't bribe her as she takes them then runs.

You'll have to go back a step further then and make friends before you try practicing picking her up. Sit or lie on the floor with something to keep you busy (I recommend a magazine - bunnies like paper) and a pile of treats or next to her bowl at dinner time. Totally ignore Shadow and let her investigate you. Don't make any move towards stroking her. The idea is she learns that coming near you doesn't mean you're going to make a move towards her. When she gets braver hold the food in your hand - doesn't matter if she runs away after taking it as long as you don't chase her. If she's really scared you can also try putting your hand flat on the floor next to the food. Just get her used to having your hands around her but not trying to touch or grab her. As she gets braver, touch her with one finger when she gets the treat - she'll move away to start with but when she learns you won't follow she'll start ignoring that. Just build it up gradually and she'll get used to you.

The important thing is that she comes to you and is control - if she wants to get away all she has to do is move and you let her.

I hope that helps :)

I have the same problem too. My rabbits do not like to be carried, and sometimes i think its my fault cos i didn't try carrying them much when they were young as i was afraid all that kicking might result in a broken back or other injuries.

i'm trying tamsin's step by step approach.. i think it may work with Buttons, but Yohji is just horrible. he clearly doesn't like being carried or touched on his chest, and whenever i try it, he avoids me for days and even weeks! i'm afraid that if i keep trying, my bond with him will eventually break :( any thoughts, anyone? sometimes i think i should just leave him be, but that's not right either cos i won't ever be able to trim his nails or give him a health check..

Goodluck with Button, let me know how you get on :)

What things is Yohji okay with? Will he let you stroke him? Or hand feed him? If it's particularly his chest he dislikes then avoid that and stroke his shoulders or hips - places he's more comfortable with. If he's okay with stroking you can gradually stoke across his ribs and just one stroke a bit further down. Really gradual things. You can also try putting your hand flat on the ground so he walks over it - that way he'll get used to having your hands near his chest without it being associated with being picked up.

Tamsin

Thanks, tamsin

yohji likes being stroked while he's on the ground. normally, whenever i pat his head, he'd immediately settle into the 'meatloaf' position for more pats. but lately after my attempts to carry him, he'd run off as soon as i start to pat him. i think he also doesn't like being touched on the chest cos he associates that with being carried. for now, i think i should just try to gain his confidence again, hopefully he start enjoying pats again and i will work from there onwards... its just that their nails are getting a bit long and i'd like to trim them soon :p

That sounds like a good plan. Once you've gained his confidence again with the nose rubs then you can try the gradual approach to introduce touching his chest.

Wild bunnies would naturally wear the nails down with rough surfaces and digging. Perhaps you could provide him with a digging box with something rough at the bottom to encourage him to wear his claws down exercise on a surface like concret or paving would help to if you have anywhere suitable.

You could also practice touching his feet. That would you could use a carrier to move him to table or your lap and just do one paw at a time.

Latest posts

Back