Handling summer heat in Idaho

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaddies

Reaction score
Hello,

We will be moving from Washington State to Meridian, Idaho next month and I am really worried about my 3 rabbits that I adore. I have a Mini Lop and 2 English/Velveteen Lop mixes. I won't have an indoor place for them with air conditioning. Does anyone have any suggestions or alternatives for keeping them cool outside in the hot weather? I am desperate for help in learning how to keep them cool. Please help! I've already frozen 6 2-liter soda bottles in preparation. Each rabbit lives in it's own wire cage that measures 5 feet long. I've also thought about marble slabs to keep in the fridge to help them keep cool as well as maybe white sheets draped on one side of their cages with possibly some sort of misting device. I don't want to have to give these lovable buns up.

I live in South East Idaho, we have 3 rabbits, all mini lops.
They do quite well considering they've lived with us for 3-4 months now.

But we freeze water bottles and we bring them could veggies and they are in out large dog kennel, in a hutch my dad made, under a really big tree.

It is VERY hot in Idaho, but just try to make the best of it. Put them under a shady tree, or even under a shed!
If you let your rabbits out to run around, make sure you have frozen water bottles and things of that sort, even turn on your mister! My rabbits really like that!

Good luck and Welcome to Idaho!
:headflick:

:yeahthat: I'm not too far out of Idaho, myself (pretty much share the same climate). Shade is definitely the most important. Frozen bottles are definitely required, and ceramic tiles seem to be popular (haven't tried it myself, but it makes sense). Also air circulation (but have it set up to shelter them from a sudden storm, especially if you won't be nearby all the time). My rabbit shelter isn't insulated, but I have vents at the bottom of the walls to let cool air in, and vents in the roof to let hot air out, plus a breezeway through the middle.

Sometimes I have to move my rabbits to the lawn to escape the heat (near the grass is more humid and cooler), but keep the ice bottle and shade anyway.

You both are amazing for helping me. I was so scared as everybody is telling me that they won't live and I'll have dead bunnies on my hands. I'm doing everything possible to prepare myself and my rabbits for our new home. Now, I feel a little more confident that this will work. I just can't imagine after being introduced to rabbits a mere 6 months ago having to give them up so soon. There is hope in Idaho!

Wow I don't know how you all do it! It hits 80f here and we all melt :)
Welcome too the forum :) I would love too see pics of your bunnies!

I would like to welcome you to Rabbits Online, my name is Dave and I am a moderator on the forum. So if I can be of any help please let me know. This is a terrific website for rabbits and their slaves, not only is it very active but also friendly. I am so glad you’re here and I know you will enjoy it.

Many bunnies’ recommend their slaves to this site so we may learn of others methods to keeping our furry masters happy.

If you everhave a sick bunny, please post in The Infirmary and include your rabbit's age, breed and health history as well diet and output details leading up to the problem.

Here are somelinks I thought you might find interesting:

*For reference the Library section

*To brag or tell everyone about the antics of your bunny or just to talk about your day here is where to start a Bunny Blog, you can also look back at it later and remember when you had a life before your bunny.

*Now all the bunny’s like talk to each other when we mere slaves aren’t around in the Bunny Chat is the spot to be.

*The House Rabbit Society has a lot of good information on what veggies are safe for bunny’s, etc.

*Here is a link to learn what your furry master is trying to say to you How to Understand Your Bunny's Language

*Rabbits Online also has regional forums , this a good way to find a vet in your area that has experience with rabbits and to find out from other nearby of good sources of rabbit supplies.

The Let Your Hare Down section is for anything non-bunny related.

Here is a link tothat will help you and your bunny to connect, How to Bond with Your Bunny.

Now every forum has rules and ours can be found with this link Rabbits Online Forum Rules. This gives guidelines on what is acceptable, what is not and how we hope everyone will treat each other.

Everyone on this forum loves to see pictures of each other’s bunnies. So if you would like to post a picture this link will help you do that, Upload Photo's to Photo Gallery. Then in the post, you click on the "G" in the tool bar to insert your photo. Many people also use Photobucket. You just copy the img file and paste it into the post.

Don’t hesitate to ask questions and I am glad you have joined rabbits online; I look forward to seeing you around.

hillrise wrote:
At least in the 90s, and a lot of part get into the 100s, low teens
Ahhh yeah that's about how warm it gets here but I don't have a space outside for the bunny to go. We've actually been having a mild summer. Couple of summers ago we got up to 117

Here in Houston we have been in a longgggg drought So 100-110 every day since the beginning of the year until it finally rained this past week.

Our set ups are small to medium sized fans facing every 1 or 2 cages. We use Frozen Gatorade bottles and put two or three ice cubes in each dish during the hottest part of the day. Our rabbits all have ceramic tiles in their cages. Also we dip our hands in the water and rub it on each rabbits face and ears to help them regulate a cooler temp. Make sure not to do too much where you get water in their ears. And the rabbits who just don't do well we bring in either our indoor cage or a carrying cage and put them back out just before sundown.

EDIT I also read that you will be moving from washington. Before were your rabbits indoors? Or outdoors and if so how hot did it get in WA?
Rabbits are very sensitive to hotter temperatures and if transitioned too quickly will really suffer. Please transition them to the outside temperatures maybe by keeping them outside during the nights first. Then slowly increasing the times. you might have to continue to bring them in during the hottest parts of the days. This transition depends on the rabbit and its breed. My moms himis and my britannia petites handle the hottest parts of the days better than my tans (this is a breed found more often in northern states). Carrying cages can be very useful for you if you cant keep them in an enclosed area. Our show rabbits can stay in them a day or two with no real problems Of course changing the bedding daily or as needed to keep the smell down.

I'm from hotter climates, i think ceramic tiles is a great idea in the shade. When my rabbits are hot, they lay out like a rug on my kitchen floor, even my rabbit that hates slippery floors. lol

I don't know if i'd use a spraying device of some sort though. i imagine it'd be funny, but it might just make them annoyed.

the only other thing i can think of is if their 'home' is under ground somehow. That might be too complicated

Idaho gets pretty hot. We live in the lower corner of Idaho, we have our 3 bunnies and a lot of people have bunnies. Just give them frozen water bottles and if you can, get a mister and try to keep em cool! : ):dutch

Good luck! let me know if you ever have any problems with the heat or the cold (It drops below 0 at night during winter!)

Back