Handling kits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smyles

Reaction score
Our rabbit chose to nest in here. The kits are 7 days old. When is it safe to handle them and clean? She ate her 1st litter and I am nervous about upsetting her with housekeeping. Once they begin to explore can they be moved to her cage? Or is leaving them to roam free in her room better?
IMG_0317.jpegIMG_0317.jpeg

You can handle them any time - I check and clean the nest as soon as the doe is done, replace soiled or wet bedding (blood etc. can attrackt flies), make sure the kits are well covered with fur. Then for the next days I just put my hand in there to feel if everything is ok and cozy.

Some does don't like if your're messing with the nest, then be sure she is somewhere else or distract her with food. Some are just curious what you're doing, but they can get in the way.

After a week you can handle them regularily, just don't overdo it, no showing them off or toting around, a few minutes a day is enough. Be careful, stay low with them, they can easily pop out of a hand. Opinions differ if that makes them more tame in the long run, but imho it makes it easier to catch them once they get mobile at about 2 weeks.

Attachments

• Schwarze mit jungem.jpg
    Schwarze mit jungem.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1
i suppose it always depends on the does temperament, but I find even a nervous doe will calm down if u give her a treat away from the nest, that way you can quickly check for full bellies and that they are warm. the checking only needs to be a couple of minutes, and I handle the babies the day after my doe has them, (only for a few seconds each), for checking purposes. I think most does, if they know you well enough, do not mind their nest being checked, my Bun will just come over to check up on me and her babies when I check her kits, (as if she is making sure I am doing the right thing).

When their eyes open, or at 2 weeks I will handle them a bit more, (strokes, pick them up for a minute longer. Like Preitler I find this helps with them staying calmer at a younger age, as they can be extremely nervous at this young age, just beginning to explore. from my experience It helps in the longer run for having calmer, friendlier, more trusting bunnies.

Back