Handling Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueberryBunbun

Reaction score
Tufty, my female,3 month oldChinchilla Lionhead bunny is causing a problem. I spent 2 hours todayscrubbing out her hutch and disinfecting and cleaning it all, andputting in fresh bedding, and then washing her food bowls and waterbottleand gathering her some dandelions as a special treat.Whilst I did this, I let her run about the garden for some exercise.When she's in the garden, she's pretty wild, and its very difficult tocatch her. I have quite a big garden, and she runs very fast. Usuallyshe flops out and if I try to approach her, she runs off. If I sneak upand grab her, she struggles and tries to escape. When I've got her andI handle her, she's fine, and when she's up on my bed she'll happilysit by me and flop out to be petted, and do the teeth-grinding"purring" thing, and I think she enjoys my company.

The problem is picking her up when she's in the garden, or in thehouse, as she wont let me near her. As you all explained to me, she'scage territorial, but now its not just getting her out of her cage, itsgetting herback into it too- its all so difficult!She's always been like it out side of her cage, I just need to trainher up or something. I don't want to stress her out by having to chaseher and sneak up on her all the time.. I just need some tips to gettingher back again with minimal stress to her (and me!!)

Thanks! Blueberry x

I know you allmust be a bit sick ofme, heheh, its one problem after another with me.. I appriciate all thehelp you've givenme in previous topics. I know you can help!

Blueberry x

Edit:

I may need to mention that Tufty isn't spayed. Does this make a difference? Please help. Thanks!

Ah right! Well she's only 3 months, isn't that abit young? And do you know if theres anything else I could do to gether to warm up to me picking her up? Thanks for the help x

Okay, well I'll talk to my parents about it, andI'd have to look into it more carefully, but thanks, im sure it wouldhelp a lot. Do you know of anything else, any way I could coax her topick her up or get her back in her hutch?

WHEN EVE BLUE ACTS THE SAME WAY I JUSTLEAFHER ALONE AND STOP CHASING HER AND SHE COMES TO ME ON HEYON. YOU CAN TRY DON'T CHASE HER JUST KEEP AN EYE ON HER AND YOU WILLSEE THE RESULTS

Maybe lay down on the floor and let her come toyou....she'll get curious....possibly sit up and she may hop on yourlap and you can scoop her up?

You're right, that has happened a few times, andshe often hops into her hutch of her own accord as I leave the dooropen for her. Its just frustrating if I need to pick her up becauseusually she's so busy inspecting the garden she doesn't feel the needto investigate boring old me! hee hee!

Thanks for your help - Blueberry x

I don't know what works for other buns, but I doknow bribing mine works with carrots or lettuce while I call his name,does. I do it enuff so that I'm sure he translates "Come here, DonCheeto" into "Come get your favorite treats" Stocking him has neverworked. He outsmarts me ever time! Is he a "piggy"?

Mocha *usually* goes back into her cage if I puther veggies in there. She's not letting me pick her up at the moment,so it's really the only way to get her back in for now. When she'sstubborn, I hold oats in front of her nose and lead her in.

I have a raisin box I shake every time I wantPepper to come. She absolutely loves raisins and she willcome running from wherever she is if she hears the sound of themshaking in a box. You can maybe get your bunny used to thatby shaking the box and feeding a raisin until she puts the twotogether. If she really likes raisins like both my buns do,she will probably come running at the sound. The laying onthe ground idea is a good one too! Good luck!

Jamie

Treats work miracles lol. I would find something healthy that she just loves.

here's how I trained Apollo to come when I called him. Apolloloves romaine lettuce. So I would take a small piece and let him know Ihad it. I'd lower my hand and call his name. HE would come running. Iwould pick him up and give him another small piece of romaine. Itdidn't take long for him to connect his name being called or beingpicked up with good tasty things.

Maybe this will help you too.

Tina

I do exactly what Tina does to get my bunnies tocome back. I found for whatever reason the angoras are theeasiest, then the lops and netherlands being quite hard lol. I adopteda little girl who was found hopping on a highway and she was totallyunsocialized. It took lots of treats and a loving bunnyboyfriend for her to calm down and trust me. She was such asweetheart and so was her boy bunny. I miss them so much...They bothhad such tragic deaths....ahhh the pet shop bunnies poor breedingcaught up once again...

I have the same problem. Plank willcome to me and let me pet her when she is in the playpen or the cagebut oh boy you let her run around in the livingroom and she doesn'twant back in her cage. I tried holding out craisins to herbecause she loves them but she will not go for them when outside thecage. So for now poor little girl cannot have the run of theliving room anymore until she calms down. Rachet on the otherhand is a lot easier. I think it's because her stomach speakslouder than her head LOL.

Charlie

Latest posts

Back