Hammie is refusing food and hiding in back of cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CB Millicent

Reaction score
Our foster bun, Hammie, has been acting "off" today. We let him out and he just loafed all day. Tonight he's refusing food and drink and treats. His tummy feels soft, and he did poop and pee in his box today. Is this GI stasis? He's always been indoors and not around other bunnies--only my cats, who are also indoor only.

How long has it been since he ate? Is he refusing all food, even his favorite treats? Did he have digestive slowdown, or smaller poos with hair in them over the last few days?

If it has been 12 hrs since a bunny pooped or ate, I would consider it an emergency.

I would get some simethicone in him, as well as some water/pedialyte. 1ml of baby gas meds is a good choice. It can be given once an hour for 3 hrs, along with 5ml/hr liquid at least, with tummy rubs and access to a heating pad (for the belly pain). If you have left over metacam from a spay/neuter, that might be good as long as it is less than 6mo old. You can also have a listen to his belly for gurgles.

Check for other signs of illness, like cold/hot ears, lethargy, hunched position. If he becomes lethargic it is definitely an emergency.

Thanks! I rubbed his belly & gave him Simethecone. However, he just didn't look right to me, so we went to the emergency vet. They could find little wrong & assumed mild GI stasis. He got 50 ml's of Lactated Ringer's subcutaneously and 0.5 ml of Reglan. We're back home and I'll be watching him tonight. I'll try the old Metacam and more Simethecone in a bit. If he's not better by morning, he's back to the vet.

What causes GI stasis? He had some collard greens yesterday for the first time. Could that have given him gas? My 2 other buns eat it with no problems.

Four hours after the SQ fluids and Reglan, Hammie is back to normal! He pooped, peed and ate all of his pellets, hay, and a tiny carrot. I'm glad we took him in, he was really looking bad. I'm glad he's ok now, too!

That sounds good. The sub-q probably helped a lot. I know a lot of people don't like gut motility drugs like Reglan, but I think sometimes they can be useful. The collards could have done it. Some bunnies get gas from cabbage/broccoli/kale/collard-type veggies, so they're best introduced slowly.

So glad he's back to normal!

Latest posts

Back