Hair loss? (Literally head only)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

serenz

Reaction score
Daddy has beenlosing alot offur on the top of his head. I have no idea why. I keep stroking it keeps dropping. :nerves1

Any idea why this is happening?

Daddy2.jpg

It sounds like a normal molt--my guys start at the nose, usually, and work their way to the tail when they molt. Autumn's questions are good though, and they cover all the possibilities. Also, is his weight steady, and does there appear to be hair growing in where the hair is falling out?

NorthernAutumn wrote:
- Does he have a partner bunny?
Yes he does but he's in another pen. They don't groom each other any more.
- Is it shedding season where you are?
I don't think so? The other bun isn't shedding?
- Any abnormal scratching?
Er...... not really.
- What colour is the skin below?
He's losing alot but still haven't seen the pit yet. There's still fur.. I don't wanna stroke his head to aggravate more fur loss..
- Flakes?
No flakes..

I've had them for 2 years, I've never seen them lose fur like that before..

If there's new fur growing in where the old fur fell out, and the skin looks normal, it's probably just a normal molt. Perhaps it's a lot faster this time due to a more sudden temperature change? You say they've never lost fur like this before, but my guys lose fur like this all the time.

Is he still shedding? A little bit of fur loss is normal (especially here when the seasons change). If it seems like its falling out and not coming back you should probably have him checked/treated for mites. Sounds like it could be a normal molt though if its not too severe.

Latest posts

Back