Hair loss, help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nethergirl

Reaction score
:biggrin2:Hello! I have noticed that on my rabbits back, inbetween his shoulders he has loss some fur. He is not injured or sore but is quite bald. Will post photos if needed:biggrin2:

Fur loss between the shoulders is most commonly due to fur mites. Is there any "dandruff"? (white flaking skin).

Pam

Try a small amount of kitten flea powder. If the condition doesn't clear up, a medication such as ivermectin may be required.

Pam

"Rabbit health in the 21st century" by Kathy Smith

"Skin scrapings can be obtained and the mites can sometimes be seen under a microscope, but not always. If fur mites (Cheyletiella) are suspected the best treatment is ivermectin once every 10-14 days for three to 4 treatments. For really severe cases a kitten dose of Advantage (also used to kill fleas) may be applied in addition to ivermectin .Advantage should not be used in rabbits who are very young , geriatric or whose general health is compromised .

Some people do use certain flea powders butI would never take the risk ;Your rabbit could have mange which is contagious to humans whichI would want to know about myself.

Maybe Pam could tell us the types of kitten flea powders that she has used that have proven safety for rabbits.

Latest posts

Back