Hair in poo's how to lessen?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCWelch

Reaction score
Most of my herd is molting right now and I have noticed an increase in the amount of poo's sticking over the wire bottoms of the cages suspended by hair. The bunnies get grass hay or oat straw daily along with pellets and occasionally whole oats as a treat.
They get brushed and groomed daily. These are all short hair bunnies.

Is there anything I can do to decrease this?

I am having to torch clean once a week to get it off the cage bottoms because it is abundant and does not come off with the pressure washer.

You could increase the amount of hay they eat, if you haven't done that already. That will help push things along, but I don't think that there is anything that can be done to decrease the amount of hair in the poop. It is a good thing that the hair is moving through and not getting stuck in the GI tract.

How often do you brush your rabbits? Once a day, twice a day? Maybe brush them more than you already do could help.

Thanks, Sweetie. I already feed them basically unlimited hay or straw, brushing 20 rabbits 2x per day I would be at it all day, I already break it up to 10 morning and 10 night.

It just surprised me that they all went to molt at the same time with no food changes, usually they are staggered but then again the weather has been crazy, hot then cool then hot again now they are calling for first frost by next Wednesday. I would like to see the frost to kill off some of the insects but it just seems so early.

I'd give canned pumpkin a try. It seems to help the hairy poops with my guys. It's certainly good for making sure they're passing them at least, love to observe the 'end' result more closely.

sas :bunnybutt:

Back