Hair in poop, should I be concerned?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynne2809

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have a 2.5 year old lionhead that is currently going through a very heavy shed. Typically his poops have some hair in them when he goes through a shed like this. I noticed yesterday that he had some small and abnormally shaped poop, but they returned to normal overnight and I woke up to a litter box full of normal poops. Today most of his poops have been strung together with hair and some of them are very small, but he is pooping. He is also eating and acting completely normal. I have been brushing him twice daily and encouraging him to eat more hay. Should I be concerned?

Mine used to have like 10+ poop balls stringed together with really thick hair strings. as long as this hair comes out, its ok.
I suggest giving him Oxbow digestive support (1 tablet per day). Thats what I give them.

Keep brushing him however!

Small and abnormally shaped poos could indicate bouts of stasis or semi-blockages, so you are right to be concerned. It's important to keep lots of liquid going into him to keep things moving. Wetted greens, fresh water from a water bowl (not bottle), even soaked pellets if he'll eat them that way. The brushing you are doing is great to minimize hair getting into him. If it were my rabbit, I might add subcutaneous fluids and belly massages just to break up any hairballs trying to form. Or at the very least, feel his belly daily to catch if there is any change (belly will feel empty or mushy if contents aren't moving well).

When my rabbits molt, I brush them as often as I can, pull loose fur out, and give them one-to-two tablets of Oxbow's papaya support everyday, which breaks down blockage. It works really well. Like @rabbit_friend said giving belly massages can help move the gut and soothe.

Latest posts

Back