Hair Consumption

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyv

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering what is best for hair consumption. Our netherland tends to shed and from time to time, there is considerable hair intertwined with the fecal pellets. I've heard about pineapple or papaya, but wanted to know if there is anything better.

Thank you very much!

I haven't heard anything more than anecdotal evidence in support of pineapple and papaya, though they sure do find it tasty!

Personally, I think it's just important to keep the gut moving with lots of hay and lots of water.

Of course, brushing and pulling off some of that hair yourself so they don't ingest it in the first place always helps. :)

missyscove wrote:
I haven't heard anything more than anecdotal evidence in support of pineapple and papaya, though they sure do find it tasty!

Personally, I think it's just important to keep the gut moving with lots of hay and lots of water.

Of course, brushing and pulling off some of that hair yourself so they don't ingest it in the first place always helps. :)

I totally agree ; get the hair off before they ingest it..

Ihad to go through a few bouts of stasis before I learned to make myself brush them whether I wanted to or not

and pushing hay also moves the hay through as Missycove said.

I always put out new hay, and if I have it, their favorite stemmy hay--oat. Wet veggies can help too.

Yep, always push hay, and when in serious doubt, adding some juice to their water can help. I like Missycoves post, that's a good for trying to eliminate that from happening.;)

Latest posts

Back