Had to bring the bunnies inside

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trigger101

Reaction score
It was supposed to get up to 104 degrees today and boy it did!! So last night when it got cooler I brought the bunnies in. I didn't want to shock there systems so thats why I did it last night when it cooled off. Yesterday they were miserable but I couldn't bring them in without making them sick. They are enjoying being inside. Trigger is in my ferrets cage(he is out playing) and oreo is in a cat carrier. Both can come out if they want but have chosen to stay in the cages. It got hot in the house earlier but then cooled back down.

Anyone else with outside bunnies have to bring them in because of the horrible heat?

Much better and safer to have them inside even if they are in smaller cages. As for the heat?????? we are in a big flood, all thunderstorms, rain and no heat to think of, can we send you some rain??

All last week we were having highs of 103 and heat index said 109 for mon-thursday. Today it was raining and we had clouds so only in the 90's. We havent had to bring anyone in though. I will bring mine in when they start drooling AND/OR open mouth panting. Most of the time they just are stretched out. We have fans on almost everyone and During the hottest part of the day I get off work and before I go to school I put ice bottles out, ice cubes in water, make sure fans are running, and refill water bowls.

We dont have enough space to bring everyone in and being in houston year round the only ones I worry about are first time summer bunnies. Everyone else is pretty used to the routine and it helps when I can come and give them some release around 1 or 2.

I don't have a yard to speak of haha. But even so, summers around here can get hot (one summer it got up to 117) that's just too hot for any one, much less an animal with a fur coat.

Hasn't gotten that hot yet, thankfully haha.

It's like winter here in England, rain, rain and more rain. Today was nice though, not hot but it didn't rain! I don't think i have ever experienced 109 degrees! I've just googled and that's 42'c!? i'd die!! How bunnies would cope i don't understand!? As when it gets to 20'c here (which is 68 degrees), my bunnies get too hot then and i have to give them damp towels and frozen water bottles! :)

Well I guess temp is all relevant cause 68 is cold to me haha. I keep my apartment AC at 78 degrees during the summer and Harvey does fine with that. I do have my ceiling fan on as well as a frozen water bottle. But he is a bit of a weirdo... some times on sunny days he likes to sun bathe on my bay window sill.

This heat is crazy. Same hot and humid weather here. I couldn't imagine Agnes outside! Glad you could bring your bunnies inside :)

It's hot and humid here, too. Thankfully my bunnies are in the barn, which is an old bank barn so stays fairly cool. They're all laying stretched out (except the babies, which seem to be ALWAYS eating!), but not panting. I saw on Facebook that a few breeders have lost quite a few rabbits, due to heat. Someone local lose 6 of hers, because her AC went out in the rabbitry while she was at work. :(

I brought Jack in due to the heat so he's spent most of the past few days in a large pet taxi in my kitchen.

Now instead of spraying sometimes when he sees me, he's all hyped up and goes for me every time I get near.:rollseyes

This heat has affected everyone. Not just bunnies. Glad to hear you could bring your bunnies in. Smart move waiting until later at night so that they could adjust to the temp.

You do the best you can for your animals. There is nothing wrong with bringing them in to ease their discomfort. It's tough. I'm very fortunate to have my bunnies in AC. They are spoiled now, but can't help but spoil my animals.

K

We've been having to bring the buns in alot, its been close to 100 almost every day. As for our chickens there's no way they're coming in, but they seem to struggle alot with the heat. I try to mist them with the hose every little while.

Rue lives inside but even still we don't have A/C so it still gets really hot in the apartment. I've been giving Rue frozen bottles and put ice cubes in her water. I've sectioned off a small area where she can find a cool spot with a breeze and she seems much happier. The heat is just insane right now.

Its been OKAY here. The humidity is what kills us. If its 85 out feels like 100+ with the humidity. No bunnies go out in this weather. What I have done in the past (cant right now as bunny run is broken) is take them out at night when the sun sets, i of course sit out there with them and my father installed an outside light thing so they can see.

I am going to be SO happy for this heat to end. Jack has lived in a big pet taxi in my kitchen for a week now. After a few days of getting used to things he seems happy enough, but he's spraying so bad that I can't let him out for play like I normally would. He's got it for me something bad. :rollseyes

Is there anything at all to do about this spraying besides neutering? The arrangment I have with the 4-H'er I got him from was that I'd keep him in tact so she could borrow him back for breeding if needed. Maybe I should check in with her again...

Pippen wrote:
Is there anything at all to do about this spraying besides neutering?   The arrangment I have with the 4-H'er I got him from was that I'd keep him in tact so she could borrow him back for breeding if needed.  Maybe I should check in with her again...

Nothing that I could find, and I tried a few things with Jabberwocky before getting him done. Neutering really seems to be the only thing...

I'd definitely check with the 4-H'er again! You might give her a deadline on how long you'll make him available for her use. You seem to be a target, lol. I'm glad none of our bucks have that problem, and they're all intact. I have one doe that sprayed and as soon as I moved her away from the buck (next door) she stopped, thank goodness.

It's got to be tough living up north with the heat wave. Be glad it should end soon. The only way we'll ever get away from the heat is to move. I've definitely decided I'm moving to cooler temps and non-flat land when I retire!

majorv wrote:
I'd definitely check with the 4-H'er again! You might give her a deadline on how long you'll make him available for her use. You seem to be a target, lol. I'm glad none of our bucks have that problem, and they're all intact. I have one doe that sprayed and as soon as I moved her away from the buck (next door) she stopped, thank goodness.

It's got to be tough living up north with the heat wave. Be glad it should end soon. The only way we'll ever get away from the heat is to move. I've definitely decided I'm moving to cooler temps and non-flat land when I retire!
Be glad your bucks don't spray. Nothing says "I love you" like getting sprayed in the face while checking your bunny on the way out the door to work.

Yeah my cats got the "I love you" spray in the face a lot before Harvey got neutered. I just happened to be in the way a few times haha.

Question--could being inside fora week majorly impact a bunny's sleep schedule?

The last few days I've been seeingJack totally crashed on his side, snoozing away during the daytime hours. It's common to see him resting, but it's rare that I see him crashed like this.

Back