had a scare...such an idiot!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendymac

Reaction score
Went into the rabbitry this morning, and just about died. When I peeked into Ad's cage, it was nothing but fur! I was like, "OMG! Something attacked my rabbit." Then, once my heart started beating again, I saw she was just making her nest again. LOL She just had a small bit of fur pulled before, and a tiny bit of hay. She must have decided she didn't like that spot or something, because it's moved over to the far right-hand corner and it's HUGE! I gave her half a flake of hay, and she used it all within 10 minutes. When I came back up, she was still ripping fur out. Hopefully that means that babies will be here shortly. :)

Logically, there's no way anything could get to my rabbits. They're in a stall, in the barn. Anywhere there wasn't wood has heavy horse fence gauge wire. And anywhere that has the wire has plastic over it. So there would have had to have been a breach in the barn (not terribly unlikely, with the amount of coyotes running around) but also the stall (almost impossible, unless you're a cat).

I knew they "pulled fur." What they should call it is "forcibly ripping". LOL And I didn't expect to see the entire front of her cage covered in fur, either. I thought they'd pull a bit, put it in the nest, then pull some more. She, apparently, found it easier to pull the majority of it and then gather it up and re-arrange her nest. haha I just wish she would have used the nest box, but maybe she didn't feel it was big enough.

Now to get healthy, living babies and I'll be a happy Grannie. :)

Thing is, if they don't pull hair you can do it for them and it pulls out very easy after birth, I imagine it is the same just before also.

I didn't know you could do it yourself. As for easy, I'm not sure about that. You could hear it going "rip, rip" as she was yanking it out. LOL I did gather up the clean stuff at the front, not near the nest, to save for later. I'm not sure if she was saving that for an addition to her nest or not, but it's mine now. haha

Latest posts

Back