Gypsy (and others!) Look Here For Temptation

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seniorcats

Reaction score
lorain_babies_04.jpg

lorain_babies_02.jpg

lorain_babies_03.jpg

These babies were born 10/08/05 and are ready for adoption from BuckeyeHouse Rabbit Society. The mother rabbit is from the hoarder'shouse. One of the volunteers took the mom home because shehad an injured eye and then discovered she was very, very pregnant.

To contact Buckeye and the foster volunteer, go tohttp://www.ohare.org and click on thepicture entitled 'Lorain County Babies'. The story and morepictures can be found under the title 80 Rabbits in Crisis. Ithink Gypsy mentioned something about wanting a blue Dutch so I amposting these here as a major temptation. Hee, hee,hee. Do I hear the call for a bunny train?

Ann

I should add that I now have 4 of the rabbits at my house.One of our vets spayed 16 of the girls for free today. Someof us who volunteer are keeping them for a week while they recover fromthe surgery. My four are in quarantine and on a differentfloor of the house from my own bunnies.

lorain_babies_02.jpg

This Baby has got tobe the most precious one I have seen ina very long time . And yes Pam it is SOOOOOOOOOVery tempting !!!!!! Blue Dutch are justthe most sweet rabbits .

Anne Is this litter from the Seizure a few motnhs ago ???

the whole litter is just stunning.!!!
See what I get for getting excited !!! you posted they were ! Doh! ,

Well now I am really curious about some geneticand color issues. This hoarder claims to have started outwith 2 adult black and white dutch rabbits. However, shecurrently has blue/gray and white, black and white and some harlequinand white. The harlequins are gorgeous. Is itpossible to get that color variation from 2 black andwhites? I am thinking she is not telling us the whole truth.

The girls who are at my house are very sweet but skittish. Sofar they seem to be recovering very well from their spays.All have eaten some hay and a few pellets, probably more hay thanpellets.

This vet is going to spy and neuter every single rabbit from her houseand that's about 90 rabbits. The vet and his technician aredonating theirservices.

Bless the Vet and his office help .

and NO she isnt telling thetruth ! I do believe you cant get allthose colors from just 2 or 3different rabbits of thosecolors , maybe you should be rechecking to findthe rest of the ones shestashed away somewhere . 1 blue from a herd may bea fluke but 5 I dontthink so . Reason I am saying this is , Ijust bred a Blue to a Tortand got 2 baby blacks and 4Blue torts . What I would be looking foris the Blue Buckthose Blue babies came from .then be looking for the Harliquinsand any other odd colored Bucks.

seniorcats wrote:
Well now I am really curious about some genetic and colorissues. This hoarder claims to have started out with 2 adultblack and white dutch rabbits. However, she currently hasblue/gray and white, black and white and some harlequin andwhite. The harlequins are gorgeous. Is it possibleto get that color variation from 2 black andwhites? I am thinking she is not telling us the whole truth.

The girls who are at my house are very sweet but skittish. Sofar they seem to be recovering very well from their spays.All have eaten some hay and a few pellets, probably more hay thanpellets.

This vet is going to spy and neuter every single rabbit from her houseand that's about 90 rabbits. The vet and his technician aredonating theirservices.

It's very possible that that she's being evasive about the truth, however . . .

You can get any number of colors out of blacks, depending on whatrecessives they are carrying. The blues (as seen above) canbe produced from a black x black cross. If you are using theterm blue-gray as in the Dutch breeder's terminology for blue-grayagouti (opal - not showable) -- then, no -- that color cannot beproduced from 2 blues.

It is possible that the blacks carried the harlequin gene -- however,are you certain the "harlequins" are not actually torts? Tortcan be produced from a black x black cross.

A friend of mine bred 2 blacks and got black, blue, chocolate, lilacand white in the litter! We weren't surprised though, becausewe knew the pair carried the recessives to produce those colors :)

Pam

gypsy wrote:
Bless the Vet and hisoffice help .

and NO she isnt telling thetruth ! I do believe you cant get allthose colors from just 2 or 3different rabbits of thosecolors , maybe you should be rechecking to findthe rest of the ones shestashed away somewhere . 1 blue from a herd may bea fluke but 5 I dontthink so . Reason I am saying this is , Ijust bred a Blue to a Tortand got 2 baby blacks and 4Blue torts . What I would be looking foris the Blue Buckthose Blue babies came from .then be looking for the Harliquinsand any other odd colored Bucks.

Thank you Gypsy! That's what I suspected. 2 of thegirls I have here recovering, sisters, are blue and white.Tina has one of the Harlequins. We thinkthehoarderhas more rabbits hidden up in the atticbutshe won't let any of us up there and since we arevolunteers, we can't just go where we please. I'll discuss itwith Kristen because she seems to be able to reason with this woman thebest.

Actually I think the hoardermaybe bringing some ofthe hidden rabbits out for us to find because I swear I didn't see anyharlequins before today. I know for certain there weren't anyin her basement garage or bedroom. Some of the othervolunteers are going to her house again this week to clean, scrubfloors and walls and get more rabbits for spaying andneutering. It's funny but I didn't even get to clean my ownhouse yesterday.

I ampretty certain the Harlequins arejust that and not torts. I did a google search for breederweb sites and pictures. Based on what I've seen so far, thefemale that Tina has is a Harlequin. I'll keep looking atpictures and breeder sites just to make sure. It's a gorgeousrabbit. We need to check the rest of this woman's houseanyway. The woman seems to respect Kristen's authority so Ithink we will eventually get all the rabbits sorted out and get thefull story.

Pam, this bunny looks a lot like the one in themiddle photo. Maybe Tina can get a picture for me and e-mailit to me. I'm a lot better at telling cat colors and breeds.

Oh, I'm not a big Dutch fan, but I do have tosay those babies are adorable! And animals with a rough storyalways tug at my heart.

Jen

seniorcats wrote:
I ampretty certain the Harlequins are just that andnot torts. I did a google search for breeder web sites andpictures. Based on what I've seen so far, the female thatTina has is a Harlequin. I'll keep looking at pictures andbreeder sites just to make sure. It's a gorgeousrabbit. We need to check the rest of this woman's houseanyway. The woman seems to respect Kristen's authority so Ithink we will eventually get all the rabbits sorted out and get thefull story.

Anne :

The first picture is definately a Harliquin but the secondone I am not sure about , the way the photo looks because ofthe lighting , actually looks like a Heavily marked Tort ,The Third Picture is a Tort not a Harliquin, fromwhat I can see.

If The Woman is insistant of no onelooking up inthe attic there isalways the option of having the Police gowith you and getting a SearchWarrent,Most Judges are sypathetic to AnimalWelfare and will grant the Search accompaniedwith the Evidence you havealready collected, I honestly do not seea reason a Judge wouldnt grant one ,It may involve her being charged withneglect and cruelty ,but It maybe just what is needed to Insurethis will not happen again , and personally ,Once something like this happens itwill Happen again and againunless something drastic is doneto break the cycle.

It's unbelievable that someone could let it getto that point. From what I understand in the article, therabbits were all running free throughout the house and the cages seenin the photos were provided by rescuers.

The health hazards in that situation are of great concern, and I can imagine that rats were also attracted to the home.

Pam

-- The second photo that I had posted as an example is most likely a"brindle" -- a harle that has the self rather than agoutigene. The color doesn't separate as well as the red/black areoften mixed together in more of a "roan" effect.

I have to jump in here and say I agreewith Pam and Gyspys' comments, look into getting a search warrant totry and help these bunnies, as it's true that this can continue overand over again and yes the health issue is HUGE. The picture of thestairs and the mess left behind sent alarm bells in my head.

I'm sure things weren't meant to get out of control like they have forthis woman and she is probably worried about what will happen to her,but the bunnies have to come first. No animal be it bunny or otherwiseshould live like this.

I wish you luck in helping the lady and the bunnies.

Latest posts

Back