Gurgling tummy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnihon

Reaction score
My bun has hada loud gurgling tummysince last night. He seems ok otherwise and has been hoping and runningabout today and his poopslook ok. He's eating, butnot quite as much as usual and feels abit lighter than normal.

I only gave him hay and pellets and NO greens today. I haven't seen himdrink, but then I haven't watched him for the entire day. He respondsrapidly to the sound of the box oftreats when it's rattledand so I don't think hi appetite is down.

Is a gurgling tun quite common and do you think I should be concerned? How long should I wait before I take him to the vets.

(Bo B Bunny, just in case you read this..........he had abit ofagurgle before I gave him the romaine lettuce last night, soI dont think it was that.)

I think that personally I would take to the vetsjust in case. Gurgling tummy's can be caused by severalthings and think its better to be on the safe side. Does histummy feel okay (i.e. hard or normal). Hope he's okay.

My one rabbit has had a tummy problembefore. She will have days now and then when she will haveloud gurgling. It usually goes away in a day. Keepan eye on her and check that she is pooping okay.

Ed

bunnihon, have you given him any gassy veggies? Like brussel sprouts or beans or anything like that?

A very mild gurgle is ok, and actually should be heard, but if he'sgurgling loud, then I would do like pamnock said (who btw is very veryknowledgeable!) get some MYLICON in the baby dept at Walmart orsomething and that should help :)

From http://www.rabbit.org/journal/3-3/digestibility.html

How do you know when there is optimum movement? Try listening.You should hear normal "gut sounds" caused by the fluid ingesta mixingwith gas as it moves along. Too much noise may indicate an irritatedintestine, while no sound at all indicates stasis.

Thanks all of you with your advice. His gurglingseemed to stop for the day but he's just started rumbling againnow.He hasn't had any gassy veg and generallyseemstotally fine, and is not being abnormally quiet orsubdued so I think I will just monitor things over the weekend. I willtry and get some of the baby medicine you suggest. I'm sure they havesomething similar over here in the UK.

Latest posts

Back