Guppi's weight gain

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guppi

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm a bit worried about Guppi's weight. He is a small/medium sized rabbit (about 50 cm/19 inches when fully stretched out resting), with a little bit of a thicker coat.

He has never been that active, but he did like running around in my room, where he free roams, but now, 2 years old, he became a bit lazy and started gaining weight. His diet only consists of a half a cup of pellets, a lot of hay, water, with some fresh grass from our yard during the warmer seasons.

How can I help him get back into shape?

I’m thinking of giving him less pellets, but I don’t know how to make him exercise more. He only runs a few small and short circles lately, then spends his time with chewing on, licking, and throwing around his toys (building cups, small wooden toys, pinecones, sticks). Occasionally he plays with his blanket too by pushing it around with his paws, but he mostly just enjoys laying around while I pet him.

My room is not fully carpeted, but that wasn’t that big of a deal for him before. He is also scared of leaving my room, and hates being picked up (it is not impossible, just a struggle), so I don’t know how to introduce him to a new environment, or if that could help his problem.

Any suggestions?

The first picture is him now, then 2022 and 2021.

Attachments

• 20230615_185205.jpg
    20230615_185205.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220326_180824.jpg
    20220326_180824.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • SmartSelect_20220307-013458_Video Editor.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220307-013458_Video Editor.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 0
To get a better idea about where your rabbit is as far as body size goes, you'll need to feel him. Here is a visual guide:

1687205919879.png

Moving him to a different environment isn't necessary and could cause a small amount of stress. However, you could add interest to his current environment. Large cardboard boxes with doorways cutout, tunnels, etc can get his curiosity and encourage exploring about. These types of exploratory items can be moved about and re-arranged as he becomes too familiar or bored with a particular layout. This is one way to encourage him to get some exercise.

Half cup of pellets sounds like it could be a bit much. What type and brand of pellets are they? What kind of hay and do you think he eats roughly his body size in hay each day?

To get a better idea about where your rabbit is as far as body size goes, you'll need to feel him. Here is a visual guide:

View attachment 64845

Moving him to a different environment isn't necessary and could cause a small amount of stress. However, you could add interest to his current environment. Large cardboard boxes with doorways cutout, tunnels, etc can get his curiosity and encourage exploring about. These types of exploratory items can be moved about and re-arranged as he becomes too familiar or bored with a particular layout. This is one way to encourage him to get some exercise.

Half cup of pellets sounds like it could be a bit much. What type and brand of pellets are they? What kind of hay and do you think he eats roughly his body size in hay each day?
Thank you for the help :) I used the chart, and he is kind of in stage 4. I'm hungarian so I don't think the brand says much, he eats these simple pellets (wich look brownish in the picture, but they are more dark green actually lol) with this kind of hay:

Attachments

• 20230619_223115.jpg
    20230619_223115.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230619_223154.jpg
    20230619_223154.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Thank you for the help :) I used the chart, and he is kind of in stage 4. I'm hungarian so I don't think the brand says much, he eats these simple pellets (wich look brownish in the picture, but they are more dark green actually lol) with this kind of hay:
Is there a list of ingredients on the pellet bag along with a nutritional analysis chart? I'm not able to identify the hay type (perhaps another member is able to). Wherever you get the hay, do you know if it is alfalfa hay or timothy, bermuda, orchard, oat?

It looks like it might be meadow hay.

If he's overweight (according the body condition chart), reducing pellets some, will probably be the best way to reduce his weight. Though do monitor his weight regularly, to make sure he doesn't lose too much weight or too fast. If you need some additional activity and enrichment ideas, there are some good ones in the link below.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Toys_and_games

Is there a list of ingredients on the pellet bag along with a nutritional analysis chart? I'm not able to identify the hay type (perhaps another member is able to). Wherever you get the hay, do you know if it is alfalfa hay or timothy, bermuda, orchard, oat?
The ingredients are wheat bran, alfalfa pellet, corn, gluten, oat, wheat feed meal, sty, pelt, calcium carbonate, monocalcium-phosphate, and sodium-chloride. It doesn't have a chart, but it could be that I give him too much for his size.

And yes, as JBun said, it is meadow hay.

It looks like it might be meadow hay.

If he's overweight (according the body condition chart), reducing pellets some, will probably be the best way to reduce his weight. Though do monitor his weight regularly, to make sure he doesn't lose too much weight or too fast. If you need some additional activity and enrichment ideas, there are some good ones in the link below.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Toys_and_games
Thank you for the help ❤️ It is meadow hay. I will try to slowly reduce his pellets and try some of the ideas.

This doesn
The ingredients are wheat bran, alfalfa pellet, corn, gluten, oat, wheat feed meal, sty, pelt, calcium carbonate, monocalcium-phosphate, and sodium-chloride. It doesn't have a chart, but it could be that I give him too much for his size.

And yes, as JBun said, it is meadow hay.
Doesn't sound like the best quality pellet from the ingredients. Is it one of those sold in bulk/big bags in feed stores? From my own experience, these types of pellets don't have the best quantity of fibre and are often too rich in fats for a standard house bun, they'd be what most farmers use for their breeding herd and meat rabbits.
Since your bun is no longer a ''child/teen'' full of energy, it would make sense that he doesn't get these massive spurts of energy that younger ones do to burn off the excess calories. Not to say that he couldn't get some boxes or stuff to increase curious activity.
If at all possible, i would try and get him onto some other, higher quality pellet. Say, for example, Burgess, Oxbow, Supreme (Science Selective), Sherwood, are the most well-known and quite reputable. Rabbit Food Comparision - Brand, Type, Nutritional Analysis
This link has been floating around a lot, and there are definitely some good brands listed in it.
Also, seems like the hay is a grass mix of a medium-soft variety. It's very similar to what we have here. Only, yours is a bit less weather-damaged, which is a good sign.

This doesn

Doesn't sound like the best quality pellet from the ingredients. Is it one of those sold in bulk/big bags in feed stores? From my own experience, these types of pellets don't have the best quantity of fibre and are often too rich in fats for a standard house bun, they'd be what most farmers use for their breeding herd and meat rabbits.
Since your bun is no longer a ''child/teen'' full of energy, it would make sense that he doesn't get these massive spurts of energy that younger ones do to burn off the excess calories. Not to say that he couldn't get some boxes or stuff to increase curious activity.
If at all possible, i would try and get him onto some other, higher quality pellet. Say, for example, Burgess, Oxbow, Supreme (Science Selective), Sherwood, are the most well-known and quite reputable. Rabbit Food Comparision - Brand, Type, Nutritional Analysis
This link has been floating around a lot, and there are definitely some good brands listed in it.
Also, seems like the hay is a grass mix of a medium-soft variety. It's very similar to what we have here. Only, yours is a bit less weather-damaged, which is a good

This doesn

Also, seems like the hay is a grass mix of a medium-soft variety. It's very similar to what we have here. Only, yours is a bit less weather-damaged, which is a good sign.
Yes, it is the one that is sold in big bags😞 thank you for the link 😀 I try to find a better quality food for him, since it probably also contributed to the problem. (Looking at the list, they do sell some of the good/better options in my area, witch is relief) I found this video on changing a rabbit's diet, should I use this method?

Cute bunny! What I would do is a) get him a friend if possible, b) sort out the flooring so there is good traction everywhere (slippery and hard floor causes long term health problems too), c) move his furniture (tunnels, hides, etc.) around regularly, d) cut down pellets to 1 tbsp a day and give a variety of grass hay.

Cute bunny! What I would do is a) get him a friend if possible, b) sort out the flooring so there is good traction everywhere (slippery and hard floor causes long term health problems too), c) move his furniture (tunnels, hides, etc.) around regularly, d) cut down pellets to 1 tbsp a day and give a variety of grass hay.
Tnak you ❤️

Yes, it is the one that is sold in big bags😞 thank you for the link 😀 I try to find a better quality food for him, since it probably also contributed to the problem. (Looking at the list, they do sell some of the good/better options in my area, witch is relief) I found this video on changing a rabbit's diet, should I use this method?

Yes. That video describes the recommended method of how to transition slowly from one type/brand of pellet to another. If the feed you have now has whole kernels of corn (not sure, but corn is mentioned in ingredients) then at least for now, be sure to pull out any corn kernels. The hulls of corn kernels are actually indigestible to rabbits.

Also it is recommended to reduce the quantity of pellets gradually. I would not recommend suddenly reducing from 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) down to 1 tbsp. Reduce gradually.

Yes. That video describes the recommended method of how to transition slowly from one type/brand of pellet to another. If the feed you have now has whole kernels of corn (not sure, but corn is mentioned in ingredients) then at least for now, be sure to pull out any corn kernels. The hulls of corn kernels are actually indigestible to rabbits.

Also it is recommended to reduce the quantity of pellets gradually. I would not recommend suddenly reducing from 1/2 cup (8 tablespoons) down to 1 tbsp. Reduce gradually.
Ok, thank you for the help ❤️

Latest posts

Back