Gunston and Whidbey

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaK

Reaction score
Earlier this spring, police officers and animal control workers rescued nearly 100 rabbits from a home. The woman is facing three counts of animal cruelty and two counts of improper disposal of a deceased animal.

A total of 86 rabbits were rescued (two had to be euthanized due to poor health). 5 deceased rabbits were also removed from the home.

omg-bunnies_20120316141119_640_480.JPG

Among the 86 bunnies were Gunston (black) and Whidbey (white)
2dl3leu.jpg

dzi5qq.jpg

33c9k4h.jpg

They came home Friday night, and so far are settling in well. Gunston is a bit of a food hog, and the more curious of the two (today he actually came over to take a treat from me :biggrin: ). Whidbey still isn't sure what to think. He runs and hides in his house as soon as he notices you're looking at him :confused2:

I'll update this post with their adventures and pictures.

Just a quick update...

In the last day or so I have actually seen Whidbey!!!!!!!!!!! He's coming out into the x-pen to get food instead of hiding in his house 24/7. If I go over there, he still hides, but I can **look** at him now :bunny17:

So close...... Whidbey **almost** came all the way up to me to get food tonight.

Gunston will come to me for food and treats. But still doesn't like much touching besides a quick scratch between the ears.

Wow it's hard to even imagine that many rabbits in one place. Glad you were able to rescue them and give them the stability and attention they need. It took us about 6 months to get somewhat snugly with Shya. Persistence and patience. So worth it though! Good luck to you!

Their former "owner" was sentenced this week.

She was convicted of animal cruelty. She has been banned from owning or possessing animals, three years probation, and a $3400 fine.

Wow, that is alot of Bunnies!!! Atleast you get to keep two of them! Do you know what they did with the other rabbits? Have fun with your new babies! :)

Wow. That is aLOT of rabbits. So glad you rescued these two! I will watch for blog updates on their progress!

Gunston is getting so much better. He'll come take food from me. And let me catch him with minimal effort. :bunnydance:

Whidbey is getting better too. I *can* catch him, but it still takes some effort. And he'll let me hold him for a couple minutes (especially if he's wrapped in towel).

Today, I successfully trimmed both their nails!

It took less than 5 minutes, and neither was nearly as squirmy as I expected :bunnydance:

You are making such good progress. What lucky buns to be out of that mess they were in!

Major break through :)

The past couple days, Gunston has been meeting me by the cage door in the morning when I come downstairs to feed them :bunnydance:
**and** Whidbey usually isn't far behind!

I know this probably seems insignificant, but Whidbey has started running out with Gunston when I feed them :)

They both look happy and settled and I just can't say enough how great it is that you rescued them :)

By the way, what did you decide to do about the name thing....keep it or changing it?

They both look happy and settled and I just can't say enough how great it is that you rescued them :)

By the way, what did you decide to do about the name thing....keep it or changing it?

Thanks, they're doing really well (due in part to bribery... Gunston now stands up every time I walk past their cage in anticipation of a dried cranberry...)

I think I'll keep Whidbey's name. He's a little too shy to be Skipper.

Back