Gungy baby eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delusional

Reaction score
One of my little babies has a goopy eye... someone said something about baby buns being prone to conjunctivitis?

Is it like human conjunctivitis and will clear up on its own, or do I need to go to the vets with them?

How likely is it that it will spread to other buns? Can it spread to people?

There is only one baby with one goopy eye right now..

Is there anything I should do?

Is there anything I can do until I can get a vets appointment then? Should I just use water to clean it?

I take it I should take Cordie and the rest of the babies too, if it's contagious?

I actually never had antibiotics help. I always keep them on hand, mind you I use to breed so antibiotic is a must to keep around;)I had two bucks that kept it constantly and never gave it to other rabbits. I cleaned them with warm water for some time before a friend suggested cold water, that did the trick. If I cleanedthem every day with cold water they stayed clear but if I stopped it came back. You can go to a vet but I suggest trying cold water first. Not ice cold but not neutral or warm. Good luck :)

If you can get to a drugstore and buy eye wash in a bottle..it usually is sold in the area where the contact lense solution is kept. All you really want to get is a sterile water wash

then get some cotton balls.

I have been cleaning my own bun"s pusy eye; he has a bacterial infection but it looks like conjunctivitis
I run the bottle under hot water so the solution is warm but not hot and then flush the eye really good with the solution ...then I gently use cottonballs to loosen and pick up the pus.
All you can do right now is clean the area of debris unless someone else has more suggestions

I agree with the above; a saline solution used for contacts wold be fine. And on a personal note my Chloe most likely had conjunctivitis before he came to me at 9 weeks of age because he had scarring in his eye and vision problems with the effected eye. Your rabbit may become like my Chloe after the conjunctivitis clears up but Chloe personally has lived a great life unaffected by his vision and has not had problems with the eye since.

Latest posts

Back