Guinea Pigs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Well, I went to PetSmart the other day, and they hadabout 5 guinea pigs (2 in a pretty decent sized cage and then 3 curly haired ones in a larger cage). They seemed to be extremely well taken care of (I'm usually against petstores that sell live animals) with pellets,hay, fruits and veggies and a lot of toys and hidey igloos in their cages. They were all males, I'm wondering if males spray/fight? From what I can tell, they look 'teen' age anddo quite well with each other. There was a little guy that seemed to be left on his own in the trio though.

I've owned guinea pigs in the past (when I was younger(2), and actually had a litter of them when the petstore sold us a 'female'). The two we had for the longest, Toby (Tri-coloured piggy that we got at the petstore)and Penny(Little black long haird piggy we adopted from the SPCA)lived with our rabbit Smokey for all oftheir lives (I now know that this isn't allowed but I had no problem throughout the years).I can't make up my mind (my mom wants one too, but she doesn't know). I know I could provide a wonderful home, I'm just not sure what to do.

Any input? Guinea pig sites to read?

Well, we looked around Petsmart for an hour or so just looking again. We were looking at the cages(All were overpriced and WAY too small-and my mom didn't want to build the cube cage). We decided to just leave it, because it's not the right time to look into getting another pet.We both felt bad that if we got one it would be lonely.

Ughh.. stupid people at petstores. They thought a chinchilla was a rabbit, and were about to buy it as a 'rabbit'. Hmm.. can't people read a sign saying "Chinchilla"? I don't know how they thought it was a rabbit, but I told them it was a chinchilla and they still asked the lady at the petstore what it was.

I'm kind ofdissapointed because I was looking forward to getting another piggy, but I don't want to make a move before I'm 100% sure.

Check out petfinder.org and cavyrescue.com. Both are excellent sites to find guinea pigs...there are a lot of them and a lot of young ones out there too if you specifically want a baby or juvenile. I, myself, am looking for a senior. Also, caviesgalore.com is an awesome forum. You should definitely check it out. Good luck! ~Nicole

Thanks! I have a pair of piggies I'm looking at adopting, but I really don't know. I don't want to jump into anything that will affect the rabbits. My mom wants the guinea pigs more than me, but still. I just don't know. Sometimes I think it would be a good idea, then the next minute I don't have a clue whatto do. I'm leaning towards leaving it for a week or so just to see, but I really don't know.

Thanks again, I'll check out that site! :D

Piggies!! I love my piggies, they are just wonderful animals.

My pigs own me... litterally. If I forget to feed them, give them their veggies, pet them, or even walk into a room without going straight to give them attention, I get yelled at! By the pigs! It's so funny... they have me so whipped.

If you do decide to get some piggies, definitely get a pair. They are extremely social animals, and crave the attention of their own kind.

Guinea pigs really are great though. I own 5: Fungus, Julius, Octavia, Charlie, and Emma. I'm getting one more, even though I don't need it. But it's because Fungus is by herself at the moment, and really needs a friend.

I just don't know. I have knots in my stomach trying to figure something out. The pigs at the petstore were so adorable andcame to the glass when you kneeled down (To tell the truth, I'm heart broken walking away from them- I hope they find nice homes). Me and my mom really love the long haired ones, but if we only took 2 I'd feel terrible leaving one by itself and I really can't take three. I think I might just wait a few weeks to think it over. Too much on the go as is, I just feel sorry for the petstore piggies :(. We would have gotten the two short haired, but it hurt too much because they looked so much l

Thanks! I know, when we had piggies I LOVED them.The three curly long haired guinea pigs at thestore were such darlings. One was a blondey/sandy colour, the other was black with a white stripey-funky hair doo on his forehead, and the other one (The one my mom fell in love with) was black and brown and looked like someone had blow dried itand it was still damp, so ithad swirls anda crazy little doo.They sort of looked like the peruvian breed, but they had messy hair in the pattern sort of like the a byssinianbut longer (from what I could find). If that made any sense :D.

Such a tough decission, but I rather leave it and maybe adopt one another time then get one and regret it.

Thanks again!

Yup! I've seen them. I might just leave the whole piggy idea for later. I'm still not feeling for sure, so I rather just maybe look into getting a guinea pig later.

You can always foster for a bit. SARSBC were desperatelylooking for piggy fosters a week or three ago. That way, no long term commitment --until you're ready, anyway.

(And I'm sure the pet store pigs will be fine, don't worry!) :hug1

sas et al

Thanks!

I was looking at the Piggy section on the SARS message board to foster and asked my mom. She said she'd get too attached, even if we just fostered for a week or so.

Latest posts

Back