Guilty Bunny Mom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hophop

Reaction score
I’m hoping to get some opinions from other bun parents about my 9.5 year old lionhead house rabbit.

She’s the light of my life but I’m really struggling with a lot of guilt centered around leaving her (even to go to work) since her bonded mate died in February. I never worried about leaving when they were together because they were inseparable and frankly didn’t really care about me at all. Now I constantly worry that she’s lonely and missing him.

I make sure I give her lots of attention when I’m home (which she isn’t really fond of to begin with) but I don’t know if it’s enough or what else I can do for her. I considered getting a senior bunny so she would have companionship again but I don’t know if introducing another rabbit would stress her out.

To top it off, I have a four day trip coming up that I’m seriously considering canceling because I’m feeling so guilty about leaving her. Someone would be there twice a day to feed her and visit but I feel like I’m abandoning her.

Has anyone else experienced this? How do I make sure she’s ok?

I kinda did things the wrong way by getting two baby bunnies at the same time but I got two bunnies for the same reason you describe: I didn't want one lonely bunny. You can't put your whole life on hold for your pets. As much as we would love to be able to stay at home and be with our furry kids all the time, we need to make money to properly care for them. We need enrichment in our own lives too. We need to leave the house. I am very new to rabbit ownership so keep that in mind but my recommendation would be to adopt a friend for your bun. Read about rescues and bunny speed dating and try to let her pick her next soul mate if this fits into your lifestyle and hers. In my opinion, this seems to be the best way to solve your worries and your bun's loneliness.

I read somewhere that two bunnies are healthier and get into less trouble than a single bored and lonely bunny. I'm about to find out if this is true but it makes a lot of sense to me, which is why I immediately went out and got a second bunny. (I know I should have let my girl grow up, spay her, let her heal and then let her pick her mate but I didn't know that at the time.)

At her age, I wouldn't necessarily be thinking of adding another companion, for the reason you stated, that bonding could be very stressful for her, plus she might be just fine as she is. She's older and might not care for anything else to be changing. She might like things just the way they are. You also need to consider that if you are gone at work during the day, rabbits are usually napping during this time for the most part anyways. Plus she's older, and I know with my old bun that she pretty much slept most of the time when she wasn't eating. In fact she would often nod off right in the middle of eating.

Unless she seems to be suffering and depressed from the loss of her companion, I would think she's doing fine with how things are.

Has anyone else experienced this? How do I make sure she’s ok?

*Sigh*, I know that feeling.

After half a year, I finally visited my parents for 3 days, I pay a girl down the street to look after the rabbits. Last time one escaped her (no real problem, they are used to be out) and she was devastated because she could not catch it. So this time I told her not to worry, and when I came back, apart from my 2 house bunnys that were locked up in the house anyway, there was 1 single kit left in the hutches, it took me an hour to round up the other 10 rabbits from the wood, neighbours gardens etc., not really a problem but I was a tad surprised.

So, I would show the person in charge what to do, not just explaining verbally but going through the chores.

About getting a companion, I don't know. I would wait and see how she copes with being alone.

Thank you all for your replies. It’s encouraging to hear your thoughts and not think I’m letting her down.

Latest posts

Back